Req media type elimination
Lightbulb 
is there some way to not have to go in to video to see videos, or images for images, if some one wanted to browse the file structure for the file they wanted irregardless of the type of media it is, similar to a generic file browser go to a folder with mixed media types, see audio/images/video and then select one and play/view it, if not then can we get this as a new feature?
Hello [email protected],

Interesting request. I am 99.9% certain that will never become a feature though. Kodi is designed to categorise, catalogue and display Movies, Music, TV Shows and Pictures. It is not designed as a general file browser.

But there is a limited workaround, but this will only work for Videos and Music. No luck with photos.

You could modify the advancedsettings.xml file to include file extensions that can be shown in the video list. For example, you could add a .mp3 and .flac file extension to the list of Video Extensions, and they will show up in your video list. See here... http://kodi.wiki/view/AdvancedSettings.x...extensions
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Kodis internal filebrowser might be another solution. It's not a problem to start videos or music from there. Not sure for looking at pictures.
pictures work as well.
(2017-05-15, 14:54)ironic_monkey Wrote: pictures work as well.

Sure?

Yes, they will display in the listing if extension is added. But clicking on them won't open. Can you confirm?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi ironic_monkey,

I commented using my method. Just double checked using DaVu's method with following results...

Picture files were listed and visible in Settings>File Manager
Clicking on .jpg file will not display photo. Screen flickers.
Clicking on .png file will display photo
These are the only two formats I tested.

I then added .png extension to <videoextensions> in advancedsettings.xml
Photo would not display. Screen flickers.

Can you confirm?
My Signature
Kodi windows, file manger works as a browser with clickable picture views for jpeg, gif, mov and png and most likely the same stuff Kodi plays.
Turns out after I rebooted my PC (uptime 8 days), it worked using the Settings>File Manager method.

Still no go using <videoextensions>
My Signature
i briefly tested a few .png, .bmp and .jpg files and they displayed fine for me. this on some random build from some random branch, so there may have been regressions..

you cannot expect that adding an image as a video extension will make it work. it's then launched as a video and it will fail.
Thanks ironic_monkey.

Don't know why it took a reboot for it to work. Agree with your post.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
media type elimination0