How to uninstall Nemessis
All I'm asking then is that you stop telling people third-party addons can't / won't be supported, and tell 'em installs with banned addons can't / won't be supported except for uninstalling.
Unless I've misunderstood we're now agreed that's (still) the case?
Ta.
To (try and) clarify:

* Devices containing banned add-ons (wiki) or repos are not supported here, with the sole exception of their complete removal. Any evidence appearing in posts or logs will cause the thread (or part of it) to be binned.
* An add-on that normally comes from such a repo but itself is OK would be acceptable if appearing in a debug log (wiki), as long as the add-on itself doesn't violate the rules and the repo is not installed (for example if the add-on is obtained from github and installed from zip).
* Add-ons from the official repo, and those with threads here are certainly supported, either via the team or those threads.
* Other add-ons are on a case by case basis, but more for the difficulty in supporting every add-on under the sun which in many cases we know nothing about. We will usually endeavour to assist, but it may be better for everyone if the original author can be contacted to assist. We will try and assist where we can, but there are no guarantees.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-05-19, 08:56)DarrenHill Wrote: To (try and) clarify:

* Devices containing banned add-ons (wiki) or repos are not supported here, with the sole exception of their complete removal. Any evidence appearing in posts or logs will cause the thread (or part of it) to be binned.
* An add-on that normally comes from such a repo but itself is OK would be acceptable if appearing in a debug log (wiki), as long as the add-on itself doesn't violate the rules and the repo is not installed (for example if the add-on is obtained from github and installed from zip).
* Add-ons from the official repo, and those with threads here are certainly supported, either via the team or those threads.
* Other add-ons are on a case by case basis, but more for the difficulty in supporting every add-on under the sun which in many cases we know nothing about. We will usually endeavour to assist, but it may be better for everyone if the original author can be contacted to assist. We will try and assist where we can, but there are no guarantees.
That's more or less what I understood. I'm not sure we're on the same page with the meaning of 'support' though. You seem to be talking about support from Team Kodi (the same 'We' as Karellen). I'm talking about forum members - whether TK or not - being able / allowed to provide support.
Wow, you are certanly complicating things Smile As I udnerstood it there are 3 types of Addons:

1) Official Addons - supported here in Forum and in the official Kodi repository
2) 3rd party addons - may have forum topic here or not, but are not in official repo, and are allowed
3) Banned addons - mostly addons that use piracy or are banned for other reasons, have no support topic here
(2017-05-19, 09:51)DaLanik Wrote: Wow, you are certanly complicating things Smile As I udnerstood it there are 3 types of Addons:

1) Official Addons - supported here in Forum and in the official Kodi repository
2) 3rd party addons - may have forum topic here or not, but are not in official repo, and are allowed
3) Banned addons - mostly addons that use piracy or are banned for other reasons, have no support topic here
Exactly.
Although banned addons are by definition 3rd party addons, so number 2 should be '3rd party squeaky-clean and shiny addons'.
Hi,
I seem to have opened a can of worms here. As a complete novice as far as all this technical stuff is concerned I really was at a loss as to what had happened with this MXQ Pro Box. I simply wondered is there was anyone out there who could help. I am sorry if I have crossed some kind of border here but all I want to do is watch live TV in a room that we cannot get a terrestrial ariel cable to without causing a problem with the landlord. As a technophobe it is difficult to work these things out. You Tube has various videos regarding Kodi but I am never sure if these are trustworthy or not. Thence my question via the Kodi site. When searching for an add on for free live tv it came up with and add on called Kodi TV, this is the one that I downloaded, unfortunately it finished up being Nemesis. Big mistake. Just though someone out there could help.
Regards,
Pete
(2017-05-19, 09:07)trogggy Wrote: That's more or less what I understood. I'm not sure we're on the same page with the meaning of 'support' though. You seem to be talking about support from Team Kodi (the same 'We' as Karellen). I'm talking about forum members - whether TK or not - being able / allowed to provide support.

No, I mean we as in the forum at large. But in the end this is the official forum of Kodi and Team Kodi, so we need to take care that support isn't being offered for items where it shouldn't be so we don't end up legitimising an add-on that should be banned by others offering support in good faith that a deeper investigation shows wouldn't be allowed.

Threads and posts are only removed if they are in rule violation. There may be certain classes of add-on that TK don't wish to support (VPN ones for example), but we won't remove those threads (although we may relocate them to off-topic or similar). Similarly if there are add-ons related to paid services and those add-ons are not provided by us nor are in the official repo, then we would redirect the support request to those 3rd parties instead.

But as to your comment that whilst all banned add-ons are 3rd party add-ons, not all 3rd party add-ons are banned add-ons, there I would entirely agree. But ad-hoc support for add-ons that we've not heard of before and where their authors have no presence here (or at least there's no existing thread for the add-on) is very much on a case-by-case basis, as it would involve investigation of the add-on itself and what it may be doing and what sources it's using if appropriate. In those cases the first port of call should be the add-on author directly, although of course if other forum members have experience then their input is welcome too.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-05-19, 10:50)ptyler Wrote: Hi,
I seem to have opened a can of worms here. As a complete novice as far as all this technical stuff is concerned I really was at a loss as to what had happened with this MXQ Pro Box. I simply wondered is there was anyone out there who could help. I am sorry if I have crossed some kind of border here but all I want to do is watch live TV in a room that we cannot get a terrestrial ariel cable to without causing a problem with the landlord. As a technophobe it is difficult to work these things out. You Tube has various videos regarding Kodi but I am never sure if these are trustworthy or not. Thence my question via the Kodi site. When searching for an add on for free live tv it came up with and add on called Kodi TV, this is the one that I downloaded, unfortunately it finished up being Nemesis. Big mistake. Just though someone out there could help.
Regards,
Pete

It's an age-old can unfortunately, with certain 3rd parties taking Kodi and using it for unwanted (by Team Kodi) purposes via their add-ons (namely the access of illegally sourced pirated media content). Many of the YouTube "tutorials" are by them, and push their banned add-ons (wiki), and lead people into thinking that they are both legitimate and supported by us (neither being the case in reality) and they are basically parasites which are killing off Kodi and dragging our name and reputation through the mud.

Unfortunately it leads new (and sometimes not-so new) users like yourself along the bad path and you end up in the kind of situation you're in now, and we have to try and help clean up the mess that others have made. But also here a moments thought should be given to whether obtaining any product (in this case live TV) for free that you would normally need to pay money (subscription or whatever) to access could be legal and legitimate? Common sense should apply as much as anywhere else in such a situation, and things that appear too good to be true often are.

There are legal paid IPTV sources out there (Play On springs to mind, but there are others), but even there you need to be careful as just because you pay someone to receive it also doesn't make it legal and legitimate if they themselves don't have the legal right to the media that they are providing. Research and background checking are the watchword here.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to uninstall Nemessis0