KODI Forcing Display Refresh Rate
How to force KODI to stay in 50hz when starting even in the menu. Immediately when starting KODI it changes the refresh-rate back to 60hz.

This has been a problem for a like a decade. You'll find many other old threads, with similar stuff. Isn't it time we have added an option to patch this?!? Like 'No Refresh Rate Adjustment on Start' I can't believe this has not been just a simple option in the Advanced/Expert options. I'm tired of the Refresh-Rate Changing even though I have not asked KODI to do so. You can try options like 'Adjust refresh option to video'. But then for instance the video I'm playing not it will adjust to 59hz. And no AdvancedSettings.xml seems to do anything.

I shouldn't need to explain why I'm trying to force to 50, but I will try: I have a long cable setup, and the picture is better at 50hz, than 60. Don't argue with me about that, that's not the thing here. Every other product that I can think of, does not decide to change the refresh rate on you when playing in a full-screen window.

Edit:
This is a quick jerky method... I just found. So use 'Windowed mode', not 'Full-Screen Window'. Then hit the '/' key that toggles to 'Full-Screen'. Then it does not change the refresh rate.
You have the same old panel?

The most common refresh rate for today's televisions based on the mains alternating current is 60hz for NTSC-based systems and 50hz for PAL-based systems. Hz is the rate at which the hardware in the monitor is refreshing the display. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

Different operating systems set the default refresh rate differently. Windows 7, sets the default refresh rate to a conservative rate, usually 60 Hz if your system is NTSC and the mains are 60 cycle. Then the graphic card is likely to default to 60fps, and the display is synced at that rate, changing this would require some interaction with the hardware with some sort of artificial clock cycle/timer.

Some LCDs support adapting their refresh rate to the current frame rate delivered by the graphics card. Two technologies that allow this are FreeSync and G-Sync. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync Nvidia G-Sync, which points at the graphic card driver and it's interaction with Kodi and your panel. Kodi was developed for cross platform use and functions well with most panels in native mode regardless of 50 or 60 cycles. Expecting uniform hardware design within a myriad amount of manufacturers of panels and graphic cards and blaming it on the free software, is picking the wrong argument.

Glad you found a work-round for your issue, and didn't have to get your coding hands dirty.

Time for better hardware, perhaps LibreELEC?
(2017-05-22, 21:27)PatK Wrote: You have the same old panel?

The most common refresh rate for today's televisions based on the mains alternating current is 60hz for NTSC-based systems and 50hz for PAL-based systems. Hz is the rate at which the hardware in the monitor is refreshing the display. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

Different operating systems set the default refresh rate differently. Windows 7, sets the default refresh rate to a conservative rate, usually 60 Hz if your system is NTSC and the mains are 60 cycle. Then the graphic card is likely to default to 60fps, and the display is synced at that rate, changing this would require some interaction with the hardware with some sort of artificial clock cycle/timer.

Some LCDs support adapting their refresh rate to the current frame rate delivered by the graphics card. Two technologies that allow this are FreeSync and G-Sync. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync Nvidia G-Sync, which points at the graphic card driver and it's interaction with Kodi and your panel. Kodi was developed for cross platform use and functions well with most panels in native mode regardless of 50 or 60 cycles. Expecting uniform hardware design within a myriad amount of manufacturers of panels and graphic cards and blaming it on the free software, is picking the wrong argument.

Glad you found a work-round for your issue, and didn't have to get your coding hands dirty.

Time for better hardware, perhaps LibreELEC?

I can blame them for when it starts up... That it feels it needs to change the current refresh rate that the monitor is currently set at. It does not have to do any checking at all, or after 10+ years of people complaining about a item, can't we have a setting for this?

I'm not sure why you had to go into all the mumbo-jumbo about refresh rates. I mentioned we did not need to argue about that in my first post. It's not hard to change a monitors refresh rate (outside of KODI). You made it sound hard.

After the work around mentioned KODI does show the values I desire. See the picture. Image
doubled
(2017-05-22, 21:27)PatK Wrote: Some LCDs support adapting their refresh rate to the current frame rate delivered by the graphics card. Two technologies that allow this are FreeSync and G-Sync. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync Nvidia G-Sync, which points at the graphic card driver and it's interaction with Kodi and your panel.

No need to talk about G-Sync as kodi is not capable to make use of it:

-huge Cpu usage
-huge slowdown on UI (due to refresh rate constantly switching)
-refresh rate just switch to the maximum refresh rate of the panel with no adjustment no matter what is the fps of the video you try to play
Moanbag is in da place!
I´m also not very happy with Kodi´s behavior in this regard and also not with the given options. On one side you have very sophisticated possibilities within advancedsettings.xml to realize perfect automatic refresh rate switching (I have realized multiples of 23.976, 24.000, 25.000, 29.970, 30.000 and that for two display devices, so I´m working with a total of 10 custom resolutions) which works perfectly. But on the other side I can´t define a default refresh rate and the display switcher (adjust display to video) always switches back to the previous one when stopping a video.
I have similar feelings like the thread opener and don´t understand why these settings aren´t possible. Default refresh rate should be defineable. And an additional dropdown item for "adjust display to video" (or setting in advancedsettings.xml) to kill the unnecessary switchbacks after stopping a video. But I know, users aren´t allowed to complain in this forum, the standard answer will soon come across: If you aren´t happy with the given options, code it yourself. But then maybe you should kill immediately the feature request section in this forum. Kodi is a wonderful project and a wonderful piece of software, but it´s definitely away from being perfect. But whenever critizising small parts of it the standard answer is: It is perfect as it is (with some explanation though) and if you don´t think so try coding, write your own addon, ... Don´t get me wrong: I´m happy that there is a community that delivers for free a very good software that makes us all happy. But I have to say that I never ever have been confronted with this kind of attitude "shut up, live with the software 'as is' or change it yourself" in any other software forum. We all want to make this software better step by step, one part is coding that, one part is giving hints, suggestions, ... When being a coder, I´m not allowed to complain because I can code myself. And when not being a coder, I´m not allowed to complain because I can become a coder and then solve the given problems myself. A perfect answer for everything in the software world. Very clever Smile
As far as I can tell, Kodi UI will just default to whatever refresh rate is set at the OS level

If you want the UI to be displayed at 50Hz, just go to your GPU driver and set it to 50Hz

Then it will be up to you to set kodi to automatically switch to 24Hz mode if your screen is capable of it and if you want to use this mode
Moanbag is in da place!
I tried to explain the refresh is set in hardware when you flip the on switch, and is the simplest solution for manufacturers. This can be overwritten with clever work arounds and modern graphic cards, but it's not native and will consume resources as @Gracus has noted. Kodi is the last stop when it comes to passing information to the drivers (which in some graphic engines are more capable than others) and is not a 'simple' task and I doubt developers will concentrate effort on making a completely NTSC and Pal compliant set-up, regardless of the hardware plugged in.

Quote:Default refresh rate should be definable
Usually there is a hardware switch on the power supply 60cycles or 50 cycles. Definable in software might be a bit expensive. You could post in the feature request area for changes, and perhaps your request will have some response, but this is the support area for windows and we either try to help with issues or suggest work rounds to accomplish some desired action. I would simply ask why do you have PAL media in an NTSC climate or vise versa, a re-encode of the source might handle this better.

Quote: I know, users aren´t allowed to complain in this forum
Other than to vent about perceived shortcoming, doesn't look you have an issue. Feel free to say what you will, constructive criticism is always welcome.
Quote:I never ever have been confronted with this kind of attitude "shut up, live with the software 'as is' or change it yourself"
That is more false criticism of the moderators. The forum has rules, most of this claimed bad 'attitude' is really attributed to users who run banned or illegal modifications for the base code, and when the code base breaks, they come looking for support. When told their request is running contrary to the forum rules and no support is forthcoming, the bad attitude poisons the thread.

As a member in good standing of this forum, present yourself with constructive criticism, put some thought into your messages, contribute to the over-all health of the community with helpful messages and any support; your skills will allow and you will find that the community will appreciate and your contributions return in kind with respect. Kodi is such a huge effort by so many, and entertains vast aspects of the software world, that's a true wonder on the order of open source software. I encourage you to participate in the forum in a deeper way; If you wish to improve your skills, the wiki's are a wealth of information and tutorials abound and most of the group around here are more than willing to shepherd training to some degree. But to simply say the attitude of this forum is bad, is doing the community a discourtesy, this is not something warranted and speaks badly to those who try to help others.
(2017-05-23, 13:28)Gracus Wrote: As far as I can tell, Kodi UI will just default to whatever refresh rate is set at the OS level

If you want the UI to be displayed at 50Hz, just go to your GPU driver and set it to 50Hz

Then it will be up to you to set kodi to automatically switch to 24Hz mode if your screen is capable of it and if you want to use this mode
This is exactly what I did, and Kodi defaults to 50hz for me every time I open it, which is how I want it to work. I've never had the problem the OP is talking about & don't believe there needs to be a patch or other code change.
Quote:Usually there is a hardware switch on the power supply 60cycles or 50 cycles
Modern power supplies are working out of the box with 50Hz and 60Hz without a switch, the electronics inside do thatWink

Quote:I would simply ask why do you have PAL media in an NTSC climate or vise versa, a re-encode of the source might handle this better.
Simple example: Amazon Video in Europe. Amazon has many US movies/series with 23.976fps or 24.000fps and many European movies with 25.000fps. Amazon doesn´t reencode US movies. In Europe you are used to be prepared for 23.976fps and 25.000fps playback in an HTPC. In US area you have the similar problem with having 23.976fps (cinema movie content) and 29.970fps (TV content) when not using 3:2 pulldown.

Quote:Feel free to say what you will, constructive criticism is always welcome.
Very glad about that!

Quote:The forum has rules, most of this claimed bad 'attitude' is really attributed to users who run banned or illegal modifications for the base code, and when the code base breaks, they come looking for support. When told their request is running contrary to the forum rules and no support is forthcoming, the bad attitude poisons the thread.
It is absolutely right to handle people like that when breaking forum rules, using pirated software and so on, nothing against that to say. Sometimes I have the feeling though, that some moderators or people that answer questions, have this attitude generally because of being nerved by these certain kind of people. I can understand that too, but when generalizing you sometimes punish the wrong people. I for myself try to help other people (definitely not with piracy and so on) and sometimes I ask for help. My topic is making the home cinema as perfect as possible from a technical point of view.

Quote:As a member in good standing of this forum, present yourself with constructive criticism, put some thought into your messages, contribute to the over-all health of the community with helpful messages and any support; your skills will allow and you will find that the community will appreciate and your contributions return in kind with respect. Kodi is such a huge effort by so many, and entertains vast aspects of the software world, that's a true wonder on the order of open source software. I encourage you to participate in the forum in a deeper way; If you wish to improve your skills, the wiki's are a wealth of information and tutorials abound and most of the group around here are more than willing to shepherd training to some degree. But to simply say the attitude of this forum is bad, is doing the community a discourtesy, this is not something warranted and speaks badly to those who try to help others.
Nice friendly words, I appreciate that!
Maybe the same fault I mentioned on the moderators side is on my side too... Generalizing. I have read many topics in this forum here and I often/sometimes saw some harsh words from the moderator´s side when criticizing parts of Kodi or making some suggestions.
Of course a user should use his own brain, use given guides, do some scripting/hacks/workarounds, work with tools like advancedsettings.xml and so on. But sometimes that all doesn´t help and then you think the only solution would be to ask the makers of Kodi to change something aka "feature request". And in many cases the translation of the answer then meant: "Take it as is or write your own addon!" We shouldn´t forget that not everybody is a coder or wants to become one. I personally can do some C and some C# coding so that I could make small GUIs and do some calculations in the background, but I wouldn´t call me a coder because of that. From a user´s point of view it would also be strange when you bring your car to a garage and the guy there proposes you learning to be a mechanic... OK, the makers of Kodi don´t get money for it, but then it is simple called a feature request. A user can friendly ask for it and it may be realized by somebody or not. But not everybody can do that. And that´s my point: The people who could do that often say: "If you want it, do it yourself." And that I don´t understand. Maybe some things are complicated, maybe time is not infinite. But often one could at least think about it rather than simple say "No.".
But ok, at the end we are all only people. And sometimes there is frustration at the moderators´ side with ungrateful "customers" and sometimes on the users´ side with arrogant moderators...
I personally will try to make my skills better of course, I´m with Kodi only for 2 years, I have learned a lot during this time, but still massive to come in the future.
BTW In my opinion the core functionality of Kodi is absolutely superb, there still remain many of these little little annoyances that could be made a little bit better. That´s more a topic of being a videophile (call it nerd) than critisizing a very good cost free software product.
@hannes69

Looking at my power supply, it does have the 50/60 cycle switch, but it's ten years young. I guess I don't stream content much for the NTSC vs Pal to be any large concern.

Thank-you for the thoughtful response. I personally know a few of the moderators and they are the most kind, generous and easy going people that I have ever met. On occasion they slip when utterly frustrated, confronted with words or attitude that have no place in the forum. Some of these YouTube critics leave a raw taste, and the people behind Kodi are not immune to the slanderous tones taken, and when a user brings this attitude to the support forums, the moderators are keen to make sport. (hey we have to have some jollies) and I guess it can have a negative appearance. In some instances the moderators have access to tools that can track a user through the forum as posts spread misinformation, or wishes to undermine the community in some fashion; one message might look innocent enough, but seen in a larger context, is usually an attack on set rules of the forum, which have been discussed in the community at length. The moderators are ever vigil, on guard to usurpers that would given the opportunity, pull Kodi into the dark ages of software piracy and copyright violation; killing any future of the project for their own selfish profit. https://kodi.tv/article/piracy-box-selle...lling-kodi we are being pummelled daily with spam links from sellers.

From the moderators view point, most user issues are solved by the users and the community, but too many times without the proper information, the message is left unanswered, requests for debug logs are ignored and the users starts to take offence, and the tone changes. Finally a developer pokes his head in for the solve, and he's blown off; this can end badly for all parties. Sometimes people forget the larger picture, when all they want is some feature that isn't yet implemented, and work rounds exist.

I do see where you're coming from, and the Kodi infrastructure can have the appearance of chaos on one side, and the enemy on the other. But it's all to the good, the software is a wonder and I get great pleasure from it, Kodi is a work in progress and future improvements are always around the corner as users make requests, post bug tracks and help others get up and running to appreciate this great creative creation called Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI Forcing Display Refresh Rate0