eac3, alsa and some questions
Hi, fisrt i belive i know the answer and is NO. But since i'm not the brightest, i want to ask to be sure. I'm trying to reproduce a file (mkv) with 5.1 eac3 codec audio. My hometheater It is only reproducing left and right channel, so i can't hear all the dialogues.
I have the following configuration: Ubuntu (with alsa) and kodi 17, i'm using my dedicate video board hdmi to get the sound to my tv where i connect several sound sources and from the tv i use and optical spdf to my home theater. I can reproduce 5.1 ac3 without any problem. Is anything else i can do, for what i read i can't use spdfi for hd audio. but i don't know if this applies to my configuration.
Thanks
The problem might be, that not any TV is able to passthrough the audio from external devices to the AVR. In fact, S/PDIF isn´t capable of doing HD-audio. So I would try to disable all HD-audio formats in Kodi and let DolbyDigital and DTS enabled. It might also be, that the TV is only able to passthrough DolbyDigital. So maybe you have to disable DTS as well.

It would be much easiert if

- the AVR would have HDMI inputs
- the HTPC has a S/PDIF out which could be connected directly to the AVR

pushing the sound over the TV might work, but it might also highly depend on the TV if it´s doable or not.
thanks i will try, but in th passthrough i only have ac3 and dts available. Is there a way that kodi downgrade to this ones?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
eac3, alsa and some questions0