kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu
(2017-05-25, 10:22)nickr Wrote: So if there are any users that intimately understand both the kodi build system and the ubuntu launchpad system want to step up... ?

It's not just launchpad and building but also no proper C++11 support so now we have to keep old stuff around just for those not willing to upgrade. So in the end it's also the main developers who will say enough is enough.

And again,no one is forcing you to update. Just stick to whatever Kodi version you have and use it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-05-25, 10:32)Martijn Wrote:
(2017-05-25, 10:22)nickr Wrote: So if there are any users that intimately understand both the kodi build system and the ubuntu launchpad system want to step up... ?

It's not just launchpad and building but also no proper C++11 support so now we have to keep old stuff around just for those not willing to upgrade.

to be fair this is also a question of backporting more recent gcc.
And help with packaging would be welcome. If anyone wants to step up: Please provide a _tested_ gcc >= 6 for ubuntu 14.04 on launchpad, so I can copy it to our PPA.
I'm aware there are builds out there, but I cannot find a reputable "stable" PPA.
ah ok Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-05-25, 11:00)wsnipex Wrote:
(2017-05-25, 10:32)Martijn Wrote:

It's not just launchpad and building but also no proper C++11 support so now we have to keep old stuff around just for those not willing to upgrade.

And help with packaging would be welcome. If anyone wants to step up: Please provide a _tested_ gcc >= 6 for ubuntu 14.04 on launchpad, so I can copy it to our PPA.
I'm aware there are builds out there, but I cannot find a reputable "stable" PPA.

Is this really enough? Without replacing all of libc and things?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-05-25, 13:37)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-05-25, 11:00)wsnipex Wrote:
(2017-05-25, 10:32)Martijn Wrote: It's not just launchpad and building but also no proper C++11 support so now we have to keep old stuff around just for those not willing to upgrade.

I don't think this is enough. The libstdc++ ABI changed with gcc 5. C++ code built with gcc 4 won't work with libstdc++ from gcc 5. You'd have to rebuild all dependencies with gcc 5 that link against libstdc++. They didn't bump the so version when they made this change either, so you can't ship both libstdc++. This is quite a risky change.
Yeah - will open pandora's box ... as 17.2 is redone now and still working for 4.8 we can now calmly decide what we will do with Leia v18.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-05-25, 16:14)yasij Wrote:
(2017-05-25, 13:37)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-05-25, 11:00)wsnipex Wrote: to be fair this is also a question of backporting more recent gcc.

I don't think this is enough. The libstdc++ ABI changed with gcc 5. C++ code built with gcc 4 won't work with libstdc++ from gcc 5. You'd have to rebuild all dependencies with gcc 5 that link against libstdc++. They didn't bump the so version when they made this change either, so you can't ship both libstdc++. This is quite a risky change.
yeah, agreed. Thats what I was getting at with "tested" gcc 5 and "deps of dependencies" earlier.
Something different happened after the kodi upgrade. Now the system write .kodi in my home/lino.
For some seconds I see a black windows and then nothing.
Following the error:
lino@lino ~ $ kodi
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/lino/kodi_crashlog-20170525_220728.log
lino@lino ~ $
I think I told it now twice: your system is completely broken. Your issues have nothing to do with kodi, but with a totally broken userspace - starting with a VAAPI wrapper driver and missing user permissions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu0