Linux Startup crash after upgrading to 17.2
Just updated from 17.1 to 17.2 on a Linux Mint (17 Qiana) system. Kodi doesn't start, and I get this error:

Code:
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:xbmc being added to access control list
Script for none started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
Script for none started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::regex_error'
  what():  regex_error
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/xbmc/kodi_crashlog-20170524_093012.log
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/xbmc/kodi_crashlog-20170524_093013.log
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/xbmc/kodi_crashlog-20170524_093014.log
/usr/bin/kodi --standalone  has exited in an unclean state 3 times in the last 3 seconds.
Something is probably wrong

I created the advancedsettings.xml file, enabling loglevel 2, as per http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced#..._debugging - but after trying to start kodi again the log file date is from before the installation of 17.2, and all the entries in the log file (~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log) are all from the previous installation. (Guess I had logging on, didn't know that.) Nothing is added there from the start-up anyway.
A new crash log is created each time however.

edit: Says "Log File is located: /home/xbmc/.kodi/temp//kodi.log" in the crash log - is that double slash supposed to be there?
I had to revert to 17.1... the debug log file is written to as it should now, just checked.
Encountering a similar error here on Ubuntu 14.04. Can't launch Kodi after upgrade from 17.1 to 17.2.

Code:
what(): regex_error
Aborted (core dumped)
find: `/home/user/.gvfs': Permission denied
find: `/home/user/.cache/dconf': Permission denied
Crash report available at /home/user/kodi_crashlog-20170524_054331.log

Lots of VDPAU errors in the logfile, such as:

Code:
ERROR: (VDPAU) Error: The display was pre-empted, or a fatal error occurred.(2) at /build/kodi-xevDLK/kodi-17.1~git20170320.2031-final/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDCodecs/Video/VDPAU.cpp:1041

I have seen other threads where other users are encountering what appears to be the same issue, so the problem appears to be widespread. For example: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314914&page=3
Is that the debug log - http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced#..._debugging - you are talking about?
Same problem, running KODIbuntu 14.04.5, after upgrade Kodi tried to start but after few seconds reverts to login screen.
Is there any way to install older version from repository? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Kodi, with no help.

EDIT: created setting for logging from the page Naugas posted, no log created.
That looks like an uncaught regex exception, and you all appear to be using something based on Ubuntu 14.04 which used gcc 4.8. C++11 regex support wasn't implemented until gcc 4.9. They shipped the header with previous releases, but it was unimplemented.

I found this commit using C++11 regex: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/35cf...ab3f47c8d7 . They'll have to use a different regex library if they want it to work with gcc 4.8 from Ubuntu 14.04.
I have two Linux Mint 17.3 machines, one with Nvidia and one with AMD (ATI). Nether Kodi install would start after update from 17.1 to 17.2. (Just adding to the pile.)
The same here
Same here. Linux Mint 17.3. 64bit. Update doesn't run, throwing regex_error.
Fix is incoming soon
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'm a total noob about using non-default packages. How do I revert to a previous version (17.1) meanwhile?

sudo apt-get install kodi-what?
PixelGordo, try to use wiki for help
That will only help you to get back to 16. The only way you can install 17.1 again is if you have the deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives or if you have snapshots of your system when using a file system like btrfs.

I'd be glad to learn about another way, though. Very sad evening coming up.. Wink
You made my day, supersonic.

I had 17.1 in /var/cache/apt/archives. So a simple:

Code:
sudo dpkg -i kodi-bin_2%3a17.1~git20170320.2031-final-0trusty_amd64.deb

reinstalled the previous version. Thank you very much.
Glad I could help! Could you upload that file for me somewhere? Need the trusty amd64 one too. Learned my lesson not to clear those caches Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Startup crash after upgrading to 17.20