Exiting Full Screen results in Black Screen
Here is the log. (Hope I did this right; it's my first time using pastebin)

First time Linux user. Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit on a NUC6CAYH

Opening Kodi for the first time goes as expected. However, if I leave fullscreen using the backslash key, I can never go back. Fullscreen or windowed are both a black screen which does nothing. I can close it. It doesn't seem to crash. The system moniter indicates little to no cpu usage when it's open. But if I open Kodi again, it's still a dead black screen.

I tried installing Kodi 17.2 both using the Kodi wiki instructions with the terminal and using the Software manager. Both results are the same.
I just learned something! Through trial and error, I found if I throw away the guisettings.xml file in the userdata folder, Kodi will open again normally. Of course, as soon as I leave full screen, the black screen reappears. Perhaps the root of the problem is in the guisettings file? Also, I upgraded to 17.3
I updated to Kodi 17.3. Also, using the update manager, I updated the kernel to 4.10.0-21. I understand this is a somewhat risky move, but for me it paid off big. Auto login works now. Wifi works now. Boot time is cut to less than 45 seconds. Audio seems to be working. All my problems were chopped down with a magic machete.

ALL EXCEPT KODI! Kodi is still a big stinking problem with its black screen. Am I alone here? Is no one else having this problem?
As long as you talk to yourself ... most likely.

Debug Log is needed - cinemon with its compositing manager is not supported.

Code:
sudo apt-get install openbox

logout, choose openbox, and start kodi from there
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for the attention! Ok, I attempted to create a new debugging file. I assume the log I posted above was no good for some reason? The one above, the pastebin one, contains the following error MANY times:
09:45:27.034 T:139793729628544 ERROR: ResetRenderSystem() GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS_ARB returned invalid value 76017504

Anyway, I followed the linked instructions and got this: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24669591/

Next, I'll try that other thing you suggested.
I did as you ordered and installed Openbox, then restarted. Nothing seemed to happen. It's not listed in my applications from the start menu. The software manager says it's installed. I tested Kodi and it's still giving me the black screen.
You need to select it in the login manager - not in the application menu.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-05-26, 18:43)fritsch Wrote: cinemon with its compositing manager is not supported.

This is quite distressing. I thought Linux Mint was supposed to be the most popular, user-friendly kind of linux?
I opened Login Window Preferences/Options and selected the Default session:Openbox, then restarted. Again, I couldn't see any difference.How can I tell if Openbox is on? I launched Kodi, enabled debugging and got the same error. I threw away guisettings.xml, launched kodi again and used the log uploader to upload the old logfile: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24669962/
Perhaps this would be something for you: www.libreelec.tv - with that no need to do any administration tasks.
I rejected openelec because it doesn't come with a real web browser. I was going to install Windows 7 like on my original htpc, but my Nuc doesn't like Windows 7. I picked Linux Mint because it was tauted being easy, popular, and stable. But I've been working on this for a week now, the problems are nonstop and insanely hard, and I want to kill myself.

My friend, who is a professional programmer and the smartest guy I know, spent all day trying to set up mysql to network my Nuc to my HTPC by following the wiki, (which is missing numerous steps and presumes all kinds of background knowledge.) He couldn't finish. So I have that to look forward to, with my little brain.

I apologize for ranting. I appreciate your attempt to help me.
Klling is not an option. What about Lubuntu <- the one with the "L"
I don't know anything about Lubuntu. If you say it's good, I'll believe you! But when I google it, I find that on DIstroWatch, it's the 22nd most popular Linux on the list. Only 465 people in the world downloaded it in the past 12 months. So I ask you, as a novice and someone who knows ZERO code, how much community support am I going to get to help me with all the problems I'll have with Lubuntu, as opposed to Linux Mint, which is #1 on the list? If Linux Mint has me feeling this alone, how will Lubuntu compare? I am not a brave coder trying to break through to a new frontier; I want to be mainstream. I just want an HTPC client that networks with what I already have in the living room. It's gotta have a browser for the internet, my wife has to be able to type in Japanese, I want to have as little maintenance as possible, with as little interaction with the terminal as possible. Is Lubuntu right for me? You sure? If you say yes, I will follow your advice, flush everything I've been doing for the past week and start all over. I just want to be sure this is a rock solid choice, with a robust number of friendly and knowledgeable Kodi community members cheering for it.
It's the tv. My 2005 plasma, Samsung SP-R4232.

First, I thought I'd live with the problem. I went through all the steps to set up mysql. I don't know if I ever got it right, because Kodi would crash every time.

I'd gotten as far as making a usb to install Lubuntu, when it occurred to me to see if the black screen problem still occurred on my newer tv. It didn't. It worked fine. (still don't know about mysql since I currently can't have the server and client turned on at the same time)

The depressing thing is that I bought the new tv for the living room with the htpc, and the whole reason I got the Nuc and plunged down the Linux rabbit hole with mysql and the whole mess is because my wife wanted to move the old tv into the bedroom and still watch her J-dramas. Now, I've done all this work and it looks like I have to either ditch Kodi, spend the rest of my life trying out new flavors of Linux, or buy a second new freaking tv.

Nothing's ever easy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Exiting Full Screen results in Black Screen0