What is the best OS for running Kodi?
Hello everyone! Is a lot of OS that Kodi is able to run... So...

What is the best OS for running Kodi?

What the Kodi Team recommends?

Thanks!

I have a HP t510 ThinClient as target hardware.
Best ice cream flavor? Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or pistachio?

There is no "best" OS for Kodi, it works well on most platforms, it's a personal preference.

That being said, LibreELEC is my favorite flavor of Kodi. Easy to install, very low maintenance, works well on Intel hardware.

P.S. Pistachio is the best ice cream, wanna fight about it?
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Thanks, whysoserious, I agree that Bacon is the King of Meats! About Ice cream, I don't like Pistachio, BUT PLEASE!!!! WE DON'T NEED TO FIGHT!!!!! :-)
Do you think that my hardware will run nicely? (HP t510 ThinClient with 4GB Corsair RAM memory, 2 HDD One of then is NAS 1TB) I have just tested here that the hardware can run W10 Enterprise LTSB,(X64) and runs good... Just worried about if Linux have drivers for the onboard video-card...
One nice thing about LibreELEC is that you can boot into it from a USB thumbdrive and run it off the thumbdrive without installing it to your hard drive. You can test it for functionality and driver support without messing up your Windows installation.

It would be worth a try, IMHO. You have enough ram, the only real question is the Video hardware, but running LibreELEC from a thumbdrive would answer that question. Go here (https://libreelec.tv/downloads/) and download the “LibreELEC USB-SD Creator” app to try it.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
I always recommend the OS that you can support. An HTPC is never quite done and always needs some hand holding. If you're running an OS that you know nothing about, you may find it frustrating.
(2017-05-26, 22:36)pkscout Wrote: I always recommend the OS that you can support. An HTPC is never quite done and always needs some hand holding. If you're running an OS that you know nothing about, you may find it frustrating.

Good point...
With that: HP t510 ThinClient

Only DVI connections, only VIA Chromotion HD 2.0 Integrated Graphics Processor....

Pretty hard to recommend anything for that
(2017-05-27, 22:49)DaVu Wrote: With that: HP t510 ThinClient

Only DVI connections, only VIA Chromotion HD 2.0 Integrated Graphics Processor....

Pretty hard to recommend anything for that

Windows XP and Kodi 15
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Windows Embedded 7 can be a good way? Because Windows XP is out of support... Other question is how long kodi 15 will survive, about DVI ports, is easy to put a DVI-HDMI converter...
Quote:about DVI ports, is easy to put a DVI-HDMI converter...

Only in some edge cases it's possible to push audio over DVI. That's not a real standard. It's used by some manufactors, but it's really really rare. So if that's the case and you will need to push audio over something else (TOSLink or S/PDIF), you could probably face sync issues. But for sure you won't get passthrough for HD audio formats as those can't be handled by TOSLink or S/PDIF. You could use multichannel PCM instead.

Kodi 15 is long outdated as well. I could imagine, that even a RPi 3 can do a better job than this ancient HP.
(2017-05-26, 18:31)whysoserious Wrote: Best ice cream flavor? Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or pistachio?

There is no "best" OS for Kodi, it works well on most platforms, it's a personal preference.

That being said, LibreELEC is my favorite flavor of Kodi. Easy to install, very low maintenance, works well on Intel hardware.

P.S. Pistachio is the best ice cream, wanna fight about it?

Double quote: both LibreELEC and pistacchio (i'm italian, here is with double "c" Tongue )
LibreELEC makes your kodi superfast! plus: community support, a huge and very active community growing, everyone is willing to help and find solutions, also for non intel hardware (like mine)
(2017-05-28, 14:50)MarlonRiosForsgren Wrote: Windows Embedded 7 can be a good way? Because Windows XP is out of support... Other question is how long kodi 15 will survive, about DVI ports, is easy to put a DVI-HDMI converter...

What support do you need for playing media?
My Goal is running as Media Player and listening radios via streaming
Actually I running Kodi 15 and WES7 and working quite OK, but sometimes the screen becomes black, once I restart the system, works ok...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best OS for running Kodi?1