Everex gPC Mini - Almost perfect for XBMC?
Well I've got Ubuntu 7.10 now running off the SD card on my eee PC and have managed to get XBMC up and running - I have to say that it works really well! Big Grin

I had been hoping that I could get it running @720p so I could continue the development of the Fluid skin on it but since it's only an 800x600 screen then that was never too likely.
skunkm0nkee Wrote:Well I've got Ubuntu 7.10 now running off the SD card on my eee PC and have managed to get XBMC up and running - I have to say that it works really well! Big Grin

I had been hoping that I could get it running @720p so I could continue the development of the Fluid skin on it but since it's only an 800x600 screen then that was never too likely.

How is the boot time on SD card? General performance? I have XBMC installed on HD for now but thinking of switching.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:How is the boot time on SD card? General performance? I have XBMC installed on HD for now but thinking of switching.

It's not quick to boot into Ubuntu but not drive you insane slow either.

In terms of performance it's slightly slower but on the whole once things are up and running it's not bad at all.
I think booting/running on a fast CompactFlash (CF) memory card in a CompactFlash to ATA/IDE/SATA-adapter might give better performance than booting/running from USB.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I think one of these would be perfect, especially as they are targeted to industrial use and have longer lifetimes.

IDE Flash Modules

http://www.transcendusa.com/products/Mod...7&LangNo=0
At $92 for a 4Gig module I think I'd stick with the eBay adapters I linked earlier and a couple of reasonably good CF modules. More space and a HUGE savings!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Anybody tried to go diskless with netboot? 100Mbit should be fine, GigE would definitely be fast enough.
Honestly if I had some idea how to set it up I might try it. I have gig-e but I am not sure what is really needed. my DHCP server is on a router, a modded Linksys, so it might be able to provide support if something special is needed. My NAS all run stripped down Linux too so possibly some help there and likely what I'd use to store a boot image anyway. I'll try asking around the unRAID support forum and see if anyone is doing it on one of those boxes.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:At $92 for a 4Gig module I think I'd stick with the eBay adapters I linked earlier and a couple of reasonably good CF modules. More space and a HUGE savings!

I went ahead and ordered one of those, just for fun. They're so cheap, I couldn't resist. While looking for prices on a flash disk module though, I came across some reviews on newegg and the common thread was, 'nice not to have a hdd, but not necessarily any faster'. Nevertheless, I'm up for trying not having a hard drive for awhile.
althekiller Wrote:Anybody tried to go diskless with netboot? 100Mbit should be fine, GigE would definitely be fast enough.

Haven't set up such a system myself but when I get my NAS up and running I'll definatly try it. Seems like a good compensation with speed, and moves the noise away to a place were it doesn't matter Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
My Ubuntu install on my 4Gig Corsair stick loads (seems like) same if not a hair quicker then my 400gig USB hard drive Ubuntu install.
Topfs2 Wrote:Haven't set up such a system myself but when I get my NAS up and running I'll definatly try it. Seems like a good compensation with speed, and moves the noise away to a place were it doesn't matter Smile

Currently I'm using a SATA laptop drive, no disk noise to speak of. bought a portable drive and simply cracked it open to get the 250Gig SATA drive out of it. Laptop SATA shares desktop SATA connections.
skunkm0nkee Wrote:Well I've got Ubuntu 7.10 now running off the SD card on my eee PC and have managed to get XBMC up and running - I have to say that it works really well! Big Grin
Do you plan to continue updating? Would you be willing to release a disc image to write to a SD Card? The eeepc sounds like it could be a great portable media player, even if you have to rely on networked data or programs stored on a USB stick.
bmfrosty Wrote:Do you plan to continue updating? Would you be willing to release a disc image to write to a SD Card? The eeepc sounds like it could be a great portable media player, even if you have to rely on networked data or programs stored on a USB stick.

Not sure what you mean by updating, if you mean do I mean to keep up to date with the latest version of XBMC then yep I do. I primarily set it up so I could play about with the code and also to use as a mobile skin development device but as a mobile media player it works great. (I have a pocket 250GB usb drive that has media on it)

As far as releasing a disc image I don't think I'm the right guy for that (linux is really not my strong point) and I have all sorts of secure stuff on there that I wouldn't be happy in giving out my mistake. Sorry No

If you look on wiki.eeeuser.com there are a few guides on how to setup Ubuntu on the eee and then just follow the guide in the README.linux to get it up and running and you're there.

If you do have any problems with that please feel free to ask and I'll help if I can.
skunkm0nkee Wrote:If you look on wiki.eeeuser.com there are a few guides on how to setup Ubuntu on the eee and then just follow the guide in the README.linux to get it up and running and you're there.

If you do have any problems with that please feel free to ask and I'll help if I can.

I think I'll be picking up one of the 9" models when they come out just for this purpose. This seems to me to be a great platform for a low end media player, and it becomes even better if it can be done via a distributable image. This to me seems like awesome way to implement XBMC.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Everex gPC Mini - Almost perfect for XBMC?0