Deleting folders via the context menu or the file manager
When you select to delete a folder via the context menu or the file manager, the folder does not get deleted but its content does. I want to be able to delete the folder as well (especially useful when you watched a movie and want to get rid of it).
Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible? Also it would be cooler/safer if the deleted items went to the Trash Bin. That would be a safety net for accidental deletions. Rofl
Did a forum search on the subject of "deleting folders" (or the lack thereof) and I came up with a probable explanation:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ete+folder

Although this applies in the Windows world, Mac folders also have resource fork files which are hidden just as Thumbs.db files are for Windows.
The problem is how do we disable those resource fork files or delete them along with the folder. Perhaps replacing the terminal command with an OSX centric one would do the trick? Rolleyes
I've found that using the delete from file manager does work on some files but not others. It does in fact choke on some OS X / Unix Specific files. Linked files for example won't be deleted.

I couldn't find a contextual menu item for Deleting a file from anywhere but the filemanager... Am I missing something?

I have opened a Ticket for this (http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/91) as it seems to affect linked and hidden files.
Deleting linked files would be a no-no if we go with standard practice. The links themselves should be deleted, not their sources (maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the writing wasn't clear).

iordonez: You can enable deletion of folders in the preferences. It's disabled by default in normal File Mode.
eduo Wrote:Deleting linked files would be a no-no if we go with standard practice. The links themselves should be deleted, not their sources (maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the writing wasn't clear).

iordonez: You can enable deletion of folders in the preferences. It's disabled by default in normal File Mode.

Sorry, late night typo. Links to files won't be deleted. Guess I figured it was so standard to not follow the links and delete that would be clear.

I actually found that the setting Appearance -> View Options -> Show hidden Files and Directories allows you to delete these .DS_Store and any file links.

I couldn't find any folder deletion preference but by default XBMC seems to delete folders fine as long as they didn't contain any of the above mentioned files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Deleting folders via the context menu or the file manager0