HOW-TO access your Apple iTunes library from within XBMC
Thumbs Up 
this is a way to use your itunes library without importing it in the music data base of xbmc, you will havr access to your itunes library, your playlists and so on.

1) download the last nighty build of Firefly, a daap open-source media server :

here

2) install firefly (double click on firefly.prefpane) and change manually the port to 3689, don't enter any password, launch firefly server

3) two solutions :

a) open source.xml in your_user/library/Application Support/XBMC/UserData and type in your music section :

<source>
<name>whatever you want</name>
<path>daap://your_IP:3689/</path>
</source>

b) open xbmc, go to music and click on "add source", "browse", "add network location" and then :

protocol : Itunes music share (daap)
server adress : your_ip

then click on "ok"

it's done, you have access now to itunes library and your playlists (i've got itunes 7.6)
I am forever in you're debt. THANK YOU!
Very nice!

I should add that while specifying another port in FireFly works, I don't believe the XBMC DAAP client respects the section of another port. (I was trying to run iTunes at the same time as FireFly.)

-elan
Err.. guess I spoke to soon. XBMC still doesnt play my Apple Lossless files... which is what my entire music collection is composed of...
Well I'm not sure on the osx port but the linux plays my apple lossless, atleast my own decoded ones.

Sure they aren't DRM ?

Otherwise I'd recomend you to change to flac, all O/S supports it and works great. But that probably means you have to leave iTunes behind Smile

<edit> Just noticed it was ONLY my own decoded ones that worked. Sry I am tired today Smile </edit>
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Let me clarify. Im confusing myself here... Wink

The apple lossless files play fine when i just have their location on my hard drive added via the "add source" button. Yet, with the same method, if i select "Library" mode, they give me the "to many consecutive items" error.

When i add my library via the Firefly method, they dont play at all, wether i use File view or Library. "to many consecutive items" error both times.
well, you are right, my apple lossless files didn't play in xbmc with firefly

but :

1) go to your_user/library/application support/firefly

2) open "firefly.conf" with Textedit or whatever you want

3) look for "ssc_prog = ./mt-daapd-ssc.sh"

4) then type after : "always_transcode=alac" and save your file

5) stop xbmc, stop firefly, launch firefly, launch xbmc

it's done (for me now i can play apple lossless files through firefly)

Quote:ssc_codectypes = alac

#
# ssc_prog (optional)
#
# Program that is used in server side format conversion.
# Program must accept following command line syntax:
# ssc_prog filename offset length ...
# Parameter filename is the real name of the file that is
# to be converted and streamed, offset is number of bytes
# that are skipped from the beginning of the _output_ file
# before streaming is started, length is length of the song
# in seconds (or zero). All other possible arguments must
# be ignored. The resulting wav file (or the rest of
# the file after initial seek) is written to the standard
# output by the ssc_prog program. This is typically
# a script that is a front end for different conversion tools
# handling different formats.
#
# On the Mac, this is a relative path by default

ssc_prog = ./mt-daapd-ssc.sh

always_transcode=alac
I can confirm the above information is correct and XBMC is now playing my DRM-free Apple Lossless files. I don't know about DRM'd files since I don't have any of those. I was getting the "too many consecutive" error before the above mod to Firefly.

Excellent info guys and thanks for sharing. I have converted more and more of my music collection over to the lossless format and couldn't be happier now that they play in this great media center!

Lookout Frontrow... Wink
Maybe libdaap (the DAAP-client library) in XBMC is in need of an general update in any case?

Quote:<source>
<name>whatever you want</name>
<path>daap://your_IP:3689/</path>
</source>
Can't you simply replace "your_IP" with "localhost"?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I'm think so but i didn't try
Gamester17 Wrote:Can't you simply replace "your_IP" with "localhost"?

Yes you can.
This should not only work with XBMC for Mac OS X, but for XBMC for Xbox, and XBMC for Linux over the network as well, right?

...and it should (in theory) also work with iTunes installed under Mac OS X as well as iTunes installed under Microsoft Windows, correct?

I mean, Apple iTunes is available for both Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows, and Firefly Media Server is also available for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows, and all XBMC versions have a build-in DAAP client.

PS! Would anyone of you who have tried this care to write a 'HOW-TO' article for this in our wiki (XBMC Online Manual)?
Like so => http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ction=edit

oh, and just FYI I do not use iTunes myself
Any idea why we can't just connect to iTunes' music sharing feature directly? Isn't that using DAAP?
Apple changed to a new proprietary protocol/communication-scheme between iTunes 6.x and iTunes 7.x but did not release any public specifications of those changes, therefor the is currenly no open source DAAP-client which supports connecting to iTunes 7.x ...you can not even connect to a iTunes 7.x library from iTunes 6.x running on a other computer, which cleary states the fact that it is not backwards-compatible at all.

You can read more about that here => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=25097

Blame Apple for not supporting FOSS, ...and people complain about Microsoft, Apple is just as bad IMO.
SO this is great. I'm just having some growing pains setting this up.
I started up firefly, and then switched over to XBMC. I was able to successfully set up the connection>

Initially I was getting all the playlists, however, there were no songs in the playlists. Now when I connect I just get a subfolder called "Library" which is empty.

I went in the firefly server web page. I can see that it's still loading the songs but it states that it has scanned 5000+ songs however none of them are showing up in XBMC. I only get the "Library" sub folder, which is empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO access your Apple iTunes library from within XBMC0