Anyone with experience with the x3500
I'm considering buying a board with onboard x3500 and was wondering if anyone besides BLKMGK has given it a shot??

thanks,
-B
I have P5E-VM HDMI motherboard, which use G35 chipset (x3500 IGP). But I didn't start to use XBMC for Linux yet.

In my knowledge, x3500 doesn't support h.264 hardware accelerate (New G45, which use X4500 IGP will support that), but it support OpenGL (10 if you use Vista), and of cause DirectX. It perform pretty good under Vista. And ASUS provide driver for almost everything on this MB for Linux as well.

So, I don't see no reason to worried about it.
ATI drivers for linux is generally sucky so search it on http://www.ubuntuforums.org first Smile

Just an advice
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:ATI drivers for linux is generally sucky so search it on http://www.ubuntuforums.org first Smile

Just an advice

It's an Intel chipset Wink
I believe intel has opensource videodrivers for linux. In the past optimalisations for the previous chipset have been coded in xbmc linux. Don't have a clue if this affects the x3500.
I'm quite dissapointed with Intel's opensource drivers. Intel probably envisioned a horde of people helping them develop, but afaik (?) this hasn't happened yet

As a result, the drivers are immature and incomplete at best

I'd guesstimate 80-90% complete with the exception of Video Acceleration (which is sorely missing) and 60-70% stable tops
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Mntz Wrote:It's an Intel chipset Wink
I believe intel has opensource videodrivers for linux. In the past optimalisations for the previous chipset have been coded in xbmc linux. Don't have a clue if this affects the x3500.

woops! so it is Smile as pike said, intel drivers are also a bit weird, Nvidia is the best option Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
thanks for the responses... I did more research and found even more reasons not to settle on a board with g35 chipset.....
Generally speaking XBMC/linux isn't at the point where you want to experiement with the platform. Run what the devs are running. And that means nvidia graphics and ubuntu 7.10 32bit.
Yup, I dinked with the Intel stuff as best I could but their driver page with the code sort of ASSumed I'd know exactly what to do with it.Rolleyes I played with it a little bit but in frustration simply added my cheap NVIDIA card and was running in no time. I picked the board for it's size, the manufacturer, and it's ability to have some form of digital audio output - the HDMI stuff was a bonus, one I'm not even using. There's a new chipset about out from Intel so this one probably won't get too much attention nor will it likely get accelerated drivers on Linux. The DirectX10 support was a joke, the video is too slow to play anything worthy of DX10Rolleyes

Anyway, it's a good board just not something I'd pay a premium for in order to get this HDMI port onboard. Looking back I should probably have gotten a Shuttle XPC, several of them would've worked well and total cost would have been less in a nice formfactor. some of them have this chipset too if that's important to anyone.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
The P5E-VM can play 720p smoothly with XBMC (have yet to try 1080p) using Hardy 8.04 and an E8400 CPU (around 25% on both cores). Support for x3500 is still early and 8.04 is definitely better out of the box (some hacking on 7.10 may bring it up to the same level...)

Keep your eye on:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...g35&page=9

With documentation released by Intel, it's likely this will improve. Overall this is a fantastic board; using HDMI ->dvi cable (no adapter) without any issues on either OS.
I have this Asus board with the x3500 chipset, it plays full HD beautifully. I use an E8400 intel processor.

I am running the PPA XBMC on Mythbuntu 8.10, and MythTV 0.21.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone with experience with the x35000