SMB crash
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle.

I have a problem with XBMC for Linux. I get everything to work except the SMB share. When I try to add an SMB source through the GUI XBMC crashes and I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". Sad

I have tried all SVNs since 11860, and I still get this problem.

SMB mounting is working fine in Ubuntu 7.10 when not using XBMC.

Can anyone out there help me or are you having the same problem?

If you any more info please just tell me what to do.

Thanks
/Onslaught
Post a debug log then it would be easier.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi,

Thanks for the very quick response!

How do I get a log from the system?

Sorry I am a total noob..Blush
Wrote this up to add to the sticky...

How to submit a tracefile on crash

1) Compile XBMC with debugging enabled. (Without the NODEBUG flag.)

2) Start it up in windowed mode under the debugger via

Code:
gdb ./XboxMediaCenter

3) At the prompt startup XBMC

Code:
(gdb) run

3) At this point XBMC will start up. Then make the program crash, recreating your issue.

4) Once it crashes, you'll end up back at the (gdb) prompt. Type

Code:
(gdb) backtrace

5) Copy all the text from your console from when you started gdb, including the backtrace, and post it at

http://pastebin.com/

6) Post the pastebin link to the forums.
Thumbs Up 
TY Rodalpho! I had no idea how to use the backtrace - I'd be happy to start using this when I run into situations where things just core. Good to know and much appreciated.Nod
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
You actually can run XBMC as you normally do but this time configure your environment to allow core files (ulimit -c unlimited).

That will allow for core generations. You can then load the generated core into gdb and run the backtrace(backtrace, bt, where) to see where it crashed.

gdb /path/to/XboxMediaCenter corefile
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
This has just started happening to me also. I could add sources a few days ago with no problem.
Here is the traceback

here is the debug

This is the same behaviour i was seeing in ubuntu 8.04 when i was playing with that. I am using 7.10 ATM though.

snappz
HI again,

Thanks for the excellent guide on how to create backtrace info. I really appreciate the help.

First log showing XBMC crashing when trying to add a SMB source throught the GUI:
http://pastebin.com/f38e30ce

Second log when I actually get to browse the network and get to see the shared folders, but then it crashes:
http://pastebin.com/f7466db25

System Info:
Ubuntu 7.10
Nvidia driver 169.12
Intel E8400
MSI P6NGM-FIH, with nForce-630i and built-in Nvidia GF7150
I was trying to add a SMB source in Videos and ran into the same issue, with pretty much the same backtrace as Onslaught posted at http://pastebin.com/f38e30ce

Videos -> add source -> browse -> Add network location -> SMB -> browse = segfault

i can supply more info or test things if needed.
XBMC on Gentoo Linux on a Shuttle SG33G6 with Intel C2D E6750, 2GB RAM, Asus EN8500GT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB crash0