1080/24p Disply Settings Thread
Star 
Getting the Mac to display your content at 24p can be very tricky, so I thought I'd start this thread for everyone to use as settings repository to help other users get in the 24p Zone.

I'll kick off by posting mine.

My setup is a 2GB, 2GHz C2D Mac Mini. DVI->HDMI, with Bravia 46x3500.
The Sony x3500/x3000 series is much the same as the XBR4/XBR5 in the USA so this will work for you too. It also works on the v3000/v130 as tested by Elan last night.

To add the 24p resolution, install SwitchResx from http://www.madrau.com/.
Be careful to read the FAQ's etc, I take no responsibility if you blank your screen, which I did many times to get 24p. You need to reboot in safe mode so read the info on http://www.madrau.com first.

My settings should give 1080/24p on most of the new range Bravia 24p capable sets. Do not use it if your set is not capable.

The Bravia settings are here:-
http://www.mediafire.com/?5xxzid5yo9m

Once done you'll have the 24hz resolution added to your Refresh Resolutions on your Mac. You don't have to do any further tricks like putting the Mac into sleep mode etc. It just works.
Anyone tried to output 1080/720 at 24hz from a MacBook(GMA950)with SwitchResX?
CosyCat Wrote:Anyone tried to output 1080/720 at 24hz from a MacBook(GMA950)with SwitchResX?

The GMA950 supports this CEA-861B mode so I don't see why not.
Thanks - managed to get my (UK) 32d3000 to take 1080p/24. However, I don't notice any difference in this compared to my 1360x768 setting - apart from I can't read a thing on the mac desktop...
hippojay Wrote:Thanks - managed to get my (UK) 32d3000 to take 1080p/24. However, I don't notice any difference in this compared to my 1360x768 setting - apart from I can't read a thing on the mac desktop...

It's not a 1080p set so I'm not sure if there any benefits. Do you notice the mouse being slightly "jerky" in OSx when you move the mouse around in 24p mode? I've got another mode to post once it's been tested properly, 23.976hz which might help.
Thanks for posting these settings Tufty, I will try them out later today hopefully.

I have the same setup as you, DVItoHDMI into Sony Bravia x3000. I have a few questions hopefully you might be able to help with:

Is there any way of checking if the TV is displaying in 24p or not?

Should I have different display modes setup on the Mac for different files? For example If I have a file that is PAL, one that is NTSC, one that is 24p, should I a have a different setting for each? Or will one display setting work for any media file I play?
reggieBannister Wrote:Thanks for posting these settings Tufty, I will try them out later today hopefully.

I have the same setup as you, DVItoHDMI into Sony Bravia x3000. I have a few questions hopefully you might be able to help with:

Is there any way of checking if the TV is displaying in 24p or not?

Should I have different display modes setup on the Mac for different files? For example If I have a file that is PAL, one that is NTSC, one that is 24p, should I a have a different setting for each? Or will one display setting work for any media file I play?

The Bravia flags up "1080/24p" on the top left of the screen as it changes mode. Also, you'll notice far less judder.

And to your second question, yes, ideally it would be good if the source matches the refresh rate.
And for those of you who are after 23.976Hz, here are the settings:-
http://www.mediafire.com/?nmo35jeep19
Ok - I've tried these new settings (which work) and I can see the difference now in running at 24Hz and 50/60Hz. I used Hairspray to test, as it has a long tracking sequence at the beginnning, and with 24Hz enabled is was smooth, whereas at 50/60Hz there was the odd pull-up/down judder of rate conversion..

There wasn't a lot in it, but I can appreciate the difference now..
Tried the settings last night, using macbook pro 2Ghz, DVI to HDMI into Sony x3000.

Pleased to say they worked great! Really smooth playback of a 8Gb Mkv File. Thanks so much for posting those settings!

I have another question I hope you can help me with.

If I have one mkv file at 24fps, and a different one at 23.976fps, will I have to use switchResX to alter my second display depending on which file I wish to view?

Or can osxbmc do the switching for you when it detects what framerate you wish to display? Or would you even notice the dropped frames from watching NTSC content at 24fps?
reggieBannister Wrote:Tried the settings last night, using macbook pro 2Ghz, DVI to HDMI into Sony x3000.

Pleased to say they worked great! Really smooth playback of a 8Gb Mkv File. Thanks so much for posting those settings!

I have another question I hope you can help me with.

If I have one mkv file at 24fps, and a different one at 23.976fps, will I have to use switchResX to alter my second display depending on which file I wish to view?

Or can osxbmc do the switching for you when it detects what framerate you wish to display? Or would you even notice the dropped frames from watching NTSC content at 24fps?

Glad you've proved it works on a Macbook Pro! Big Grin

Most your sources will be 24p (shorthand for 23.976 fps) over 24fps.
You would to switch rates if 24p isn't smooth enough for you. You should be able to do it without switchResX just use the OSX display preferences.
Elan mentioned a possible future enhancement by looking at the source and picking the correct/best frame rate and switching.

Hope that answers your questions.
I can't get 23.976 on my Mac mini 10.5.2 with switchresx, closest is 23.977.
Is it close enough or should i try to get 23.976?
I have a Panasonic PX80 42".

I have the exact same problem when trying to make switchresX do 23.976.

It will only let me do horizontal 26.974, vertical 23.977...

I guess .001 out isnt so bad
reggieBannister Wrote:I guess .001 out isnt so bad

If my calculations are correct, that will lead to a frame dropped every 41.7 seconds or so.

-elan
I'm a newb and have newb questions:

1) the setting has a pixel clock of 74.25 but hoz scan rate of 24hz - is the 74.25 considered the scan rate or the 24hz?? I ask because I though true 1080P had a scan of approx 60hz, so if 24 is the scan rate, is that not more like 1080i??

2) playing with switchresx, I screwed my macbook pro screen many times - the fix was easy - just goto safemode and delete apple.com.windowsserver in both the general Preferences section and the specific user library/prefeences section. Anyway, I just connected the macbook to an external display and changed the res on the external display which again screwed up the external display. How do I fix that - I tried to delete the apple.com.windowserver files, thogh this does not resolve it - everytime I connect the macbook to that specific external monitor, it is screwed up (all white) again?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080/24p Disply Settings Thread0