EXIF (and IPTC) tag support for photos (JPG pictures)
This request is dead? I really think it's missing. We have info on music and movies, but lack a simple reader of the embedded info in the pictures taken with digital camera (the info you can see in explorer/file properties/summary, like size, cam model, shutter, aperture, f-number, exposure, date taken etc)

To the popup menu: "Picture information"
As an extension to the suggestion of being able to "read" EXIF data, it might also be cool to be able to "scan" a directory of pictures, as we do for music and videos, extract that EXIF data and then provide a library view of images.

The advantages to this is we can provide some nice "views" of the photo library, such as grouping by date or keyword data, and being able to search photos on keywords. Most of the good photo management software uses the EXIF keyword field, and the date is already populated by digital cameras. Geotag info would also provide pretty cool filtering options.

You could then use this database of pics to populate a screensaver with a "playlist" of photos, of sunsets, for example.

Should be pretty simple to do given the library code is already there for music and videos, and EXIF data is a well documented format.
Cool idea whodini, to add library support also! Let's just hope a dev will pick this idea up
@whodini, that is maybe I good idea but I don't know, however please submit a new separate feature suggestion for that; something like:
"My Pictures database, scan EXIF tags into a db to search"
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I would love a My PIctures database as well..I had Nero MediaHome organize my photos like this and it was beautiful grouping (by date, album, title, etc). Unfortunately that didn't work with XBMC and my router so I had to go with SMB which doesn't have a pictures database
I've been using Picasa to organise my photos.
Using Picasa to rotate some images, I found they didn't display the rotated version in XBMC.

I've found that Picasa is setting the EXIF orientation flag to 0
I believe this flag should be in the range 1-8, so Picasa is setting it incorrectly.

However, every other application i've used to view the picture displays it correctly.
as i understood it, picasa doesnt modify the files exif info. it keeps its modifications in a hidden ini file or something.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Please send:

1. The original file (unaltered)

2. The picase altered file.

You can upload them to something like yousendit or similar.

Oh, and make sure it's obvious which way up it's supposed to be Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

kraqh3d is right. Picasa does not alter files but saves all changes to an ini file. This way you can always go back to the original file.
You do have the option to export your changes to a new file. This new files lives without the ini file and has all the changes done to it. I suspect that this is jgawera is doing since all other applications sees orientation and I know all other application does not support Picasa Wink
It would be nice if XBMC supported some or all of the changes of Picasa.
I have suggested this before.. Perhaps this is doable via the Picasa dll's and exported functions. However it's probably a large undertaking but sure would be cool and unique I guess
Here are the two pictures

The picasa one is rotated in picasa then I clicked the save all changes button.

PS The people should be standing up Smile

Thanks
J
bump
Would it be possible to associate a text with a certain image. So that when looking at a image, the text would be visible below - like subtitles on a movie. Maby this could be possible by using the exif information in the image itself? Or (if exif not possible) by using a .sub file for each image.
there's an upcoming exif patch that will let you use the exif tag if i'm not mistaken.
Great! Where can I find more info about this? What exif tag should I use for a description?
ooh, sounds cool..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EXIF (and IPTC) tag support for photos (JPG pictures)0