Run XBMC for Linux without GNOME, KDE, or XFCE?
I assume you both ran the following?
Code:
sudo apt-get clean
zAo_OSX Wrote:I assume you both ran the following?
Code:
sudo apt-get clean

yes, as well as localepurge...
I've actually got it pretty much working like I want it to at home as my htpc.. base install of 7.10 server with x-window-system, ssh, lirc, envy and xbmc/dependencies.. my scripts to start x and xbmc on boot without logging in or any desktop managers.. boots very fast now.. and I use irexec to call scripts for reboot and shutdown on 2 unused buttons on my mce remote.. so on the off chance xbmc locks up I just hit one button on the remote and it reboots.. then when I'm done I hit another to shut it down.. now if I could figure out a way to suspend and then wake up with a button on the remote it would be perfect.. don't know if that's possible..

the only other thing I need to tweak is my xorg.conf.. i used envy for my nvidia driver and it's using auto to detect my screen and sets my resolution at 1920x1080.. which is perfect... except if I happen to boot up without my display on.. then I don't get a screen if I turn my lcd on after boot.. so basically I need to define my xorg.conf...
I though issue with display not coming up when display is not turned on is an issue with nvidia and X. Everything I have read has stated that when X is loading the display device must be on in order to get X to initialize the display.

If you find a method in your xorg.conf to remove that limitation, I am all ears.

later...
I too would be interested in this - my screen isn't seen when I'm switched to another source so it sees who knows what from my receiver (no EDID) and I get 1024X768. Argh!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
i'll look at it this weekend... i know it will work without the screen on because it's the same hardware i was running linux mce on and I could boot without the screen on.
I installed Ubuntu 7.10 Server.
Then

xserver-xorg

then

gdm

then

created my "dvr" account

and added it to

/etc/gdm/gdm.conf

[daemon]
# Automatic login, if true the first attached screen will automatically logged
# in as user as set with AutomaticLogin key.
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=dvr

Then, in the /home/dvr/.xsession

#!/bin/sh

export XBMC_HOME=/opt/xbmc
exec $XBMC_HOME/XboxMediaCenter -fs

Simple, no fussing around with tty's etc. and I can plugin by USB keyboard, and ctrl-alt-f1 to get to the console (and login as mythtv, and

startx -- :1

to start the mythtv setup in that screen

no window managers.

Hope that helps someone.
umm pefdus you just said you installed gdm
yeah.. no gdm here.. I just installed x-window-system.... then my script calls xinit and xbmc..
How does one apply these scripts exactly. Linux noob.
i have one script in /etc/init.d linked to etc/rc2.d that calls my script in /usr/bin.. that way it starts automatically at boot with no desktop environment and no logging in.
rrambo, I knew there was reason I purchased a 2GB CF card. See my thread here as I struggle to find the righr way to do this. I obviously read your thread a few days ago, but didn't subscribe or bookmark it. Anyway, glad I found it again. I see you are below 1GB for install. The process you desribe at the start of this thread, is this still the process you follow? I need to do the same thing, and it seems you have nailed this down pretty good. Should I follow the steps your outline on page 1, or have you determined there are other, easier or more efficient ways of configuring a minimal LINUX XBMC installation? Thanks so much for your help!
Darn it.....sorry all. I thought I was posting HERE!
InDash... I'm pretty much following the same procedure with 8.04.. instead of x-window-system, I install xorg.. and I just use the ppa now instead of the .deb.. so the scripts have to be changed a little to reflect where the install of xbmc is with the ppa install.. still works great... no window manager.. autostarts and runs xbmc and boots quickly..

I do remember something else.. I change my kernel to generic from the server kernel that gets installed with 8.04 server....
rrambo, so you install the 8.04 server distro, and change the kernel?

What is the advantage/need?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run XBMC for Linux without GNOME, KDE, or XFCE?0