Fullscreen XBMC and xbindkeys (alternative)
When I have XBMC running fullscreen (at desktop resolution) xbindkeys doen't work, but there's no problem if XBMC is running windowed. I'd like to be able to execute scripts and stuff using hotkeys even when XBMC is running fullscreen.

Please notice that this ain't a feature request. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? (Perhaps this is the deal with all apps running fullscreen in X?) I would be thankful if anyone had some tips on an xbindkeys alternative that does the same thing, but listens for key events no matter what app is running in the foreground.
Its by design/default because SDL_Keyboard takes over control of the keyboard
Thanks. I guess this is more of a Linux issue than a XBMC issue then.
The solution was a utility called evrouter. It listens for input in the background and works like a charm. Replaced both xbindkeys and xmodmap for me.

http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/coding_evrouter.html
nomorenight Wrote:The solution was a utility called evrouter. It listens for input in the background and works like a charm. Replaced both xbindkeys and xmodmap for me.

http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/coding_evrouter.html

@nomorenight: are you still using evrouter? (in the project site, there is a warning about it not working with recent ubuntus) if yes, what ubuntu version are you currently running, and could you post your evrouter configuration for reference?

In my case, I need to have the htpc execute a script everytime the there is a "Shift + z" keypress
Yep! These days I'm only using evrouter to execute a script when a certain button is pressed on my keyboard. I'm currently using it with 11.04 64-bit.

The only active line in my evrouter config is:

Code:
"ORtek Wireless Touchpad Keyboard" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-ORtek_Wireless_Touchpad_Keyboard-event-kbd" alt+mod4 key/28 "Shell//home/nomorenight/restart_xbmc"
nomorenight Wrote:Yep! These days I'm only using evrouter to execute a script when a certain button is pressed on my keyboard. I'm currently using it with 11.04 64-bit.

The only active line in my evrouter config is:

Code:
"ORtek Wireless Touchpad Keyboard" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-ORtek_Wireless_Touchpad_Keyboard-event-kbd" alt+mod4 key/28 "Shell//home/nomorenight/restart_xbmc"

Great! this is exactly the same I am going to do - restart xbmc with a key/combination press; I've been doing that with LIRC for years using "irexec", but now I have the new moto nyxboard remote which is seen by Xorg as a regular keyboard, hence the need for xbindkeys or something equivalent. Also on ubuntu 11.04/64bit.

I'd be curious - what key are you using ("alt+mod4 key/28" - i.e. which key is key/28, and what would be the mod4 modifier?)
htpcero Wrote:I'd be curious - what key are you using ("alt+mod4 key/28" - i.e. which key is key/28, and what would be the mod4 modifier?)

It's the green Windows Media Center key on my keyboard. I have no idea why it shows up as "alt+mod4 key/28" though.
fyi, evrouter also works with Ubuntu 16.04.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fullscreen XBMC and xbindkeys (alternative)0