• 4(current)
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen
Anyone a hint for the 780g hd3200?

Huh
Those who say that the NoFlip option has cured their CPU utilisation problem in the home screens, can you confirm that this option has not dramaticaly affected their video playback. I have the same issue but with a twist:

*100% CPU on menus, 10% to 50% in videos without Option "NoFlip" "1"
*4% CPU on Menus, 100%+ in videos with Option "NoFlip" "1"

With noflip on video is flickery and tears and CPU spikes.

Anyone seeing the same thing? Any Ideas? Magic option to fix this? Laugh
shagworthy_uk Wrote:Those who say that the NoFlip option has cured their CPU utilisation problem in the home screens, can you confirm that this option has not dramaticaly affected their video playback.

Which version of the Nvidia driver are you using?
Code:
grep "GLX Module" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I'm using the 169.12 version of the drivers and I have no problems. However, when I tried upgrading to the newer drivers from Nvidia, I did notice video playback suffered a bit.. I didn't keep the new driver installed long enough to get any more details. Maybe this problem was related to having NoFlip in my xorg.conf.
NOW: AppleTV+CrystalHD PREVIOUS: HTPC and XBOX (both loudly running XBMC)
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module 169.12 Thu Feb 14 18:45:56 PST 2008

So im running the same driver as you but i get tearing in vidoes if i set NoFlip to 1.

I have just swapped my grapics card to a 8600GTS (dont laugh but the fanless 8600GT i purchased, the heatsink was too big to fit in my case!) so i will test again with the new card and the same driver version. I cant remember if i tested SD and HD content so ill try that too.
Yep, same on this card too. Turn off flipping and xbmc runs at <3% but SD and HD video tears. Turn it on, XBMC hits 100% but video is perfect (and drops dramaticaly while in the video). Incidently this only happens in XBMC. GLXGEARS bearly registers while runing maximised. About 60% in tuxracer with all options on at 1920x1080. Not sure where to go from here. The problem seem isolated to XBMC alone.
Although to be fair, after i played a bit of tuxracer, i want back into xbmc and the cpu was low and the tearing was back, checked the nvidia app and flipping was still on. after i restarted X the cpu went back up to 100+ and the tearing had gone so i think tuxracer turns flipping off for that X session. So would be really cool if flipping is application controled to turn flipping off on the dash/home screens and back on again when needed like in video playback.
:mad:Hello all!

This is my first post on your forum.

Firstly, let me say a BIG THANKS for XBMC, and a specially for USB edition of it. It's simply GREAT! Smile

But... unfortunately, I have some issues, mostly because I'm very new in Linux, probably...

In this thread there were discussed some OpenGL issues on nVIDIA cards. Some solutions for this issue was offered. But how to implement them? I'm just cannot figure out how to change the necessary values in .nvidia-settings-rc file (I mean I don't know how to edit this file to set 0/AllowFlipping=0 option).

As I see, there are many *.img files on flash drive. Is there is any way to open them for editing? Or is there is any way to change values while booted from USB flash into XBMC?

I will be very happy if someone of you gives me some suggestions! Thank you beforehand.

Additionaly, I want to ask some questions regarding the XBMC operation:

1. It is possible to mount NTFS volumes to see my hard drive content inside XBMC? How?

2. I have a notebook PC which comes with remote control (HP notebook, DV6000 series). How to enable remote control operation?

3. I want to set-up my network to be able see my Network neighborhood. How to do this if I have Broadcom-based WiFi card inside my notebook? As I know, there some troubles getting it work under Linux...

Thank you all for your answers and sory for my poor English...
Hi NOKIA_LMT

First you should start a different thread for your question and provide more details about your configuration (OS version, XBMC build, etc ...)

With the few info you provided here are some answers :

1- assuming you have 2 networked computers one with XBMC and the other with having th NTFS volume to share. You probably want to use SAMBA :

here is a link to start : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Configuring_....2FCIFS.29

2- You can enable remote control in linux with LIRC (search this forum or google it)

3- Assuming you have an nvidia Graphic Card (GPU) you can type nvidia-settings in a terminal (within your X session).

Hope this helped

Slash
Thanks for a quick reply!

slash Wrote:Hi NOKIA_LMT

1- assuming you have 2 networked computers one with XBMC and the other with having th NTFS volume to share. You probably want to use SAMBA
No. I have only 1 PC. The idea was to boot computer from USB stick and see the content of my Hard Drive, which is formatted as NTFS (Vista installed). At the moment I can't see it at all under XBMC.

slash Wrote:3- Assuming you have an nvidia Graphic Card (GPU) you can type nvidia-settings in a terminal (within your X session).
What exactly do I need to do to interrupt XBMC graphical interface while booted from USB stick and exit into shell? I don't know which combination of keys do this job. (Do I need to connect to my XBMC remotely to make chages in config?)

P.S. I just downloaded XBMC USB Live edition (v.2) version of XBMC from this site.
@NOKIA_LMT,... try the windows version...
So getting back on subject... I have tried a newer driver (173.14.05) and the problem persists. Tried latest SVN also and no change. Is this a bug? If so is it logged (and im barking up the wrong tree) or how do i go about logging the bug (what details are needed?) .... I almost have a perfect system except for this issue. Changed from the ATI x1250 due to tearing issues on everything in Ubuntu to NVIDIA which works great except for this 100%+ CPU issue on the home screen.

P.S. Nominate and voted for XBMC in 4 categories. Love this project.
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini
Any news on this issue? Because I just recognized that I am also experiencing one core at 100% when idling in XBMC.

boba
And you properly set the NoFlip option?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Not yet Slayer, also because of posts like these:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=193...stcount=47

Seems that setting noflip to 1 doesn't cure everyone ... but I'll try it tonight anyways.
I am using standard Ubuntu non-free Nvidia drivers on Hardy, would it be worth to try drivers directly from the nvidia site?

boba
I added noflip 1 to xorg.conf and it brought down cpu usage in xbmc very much. it's hovering between 2-20% on one core now, compared to steady 100% before :-)
video playback doesn't seem to be affected by this, everything I tested looks good, 1080p too.

boba
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen1