IR2BT - another "future" remote option
Rainbow 
Here's another potential remote option for you all. There's this $55 box that receives Sony PS2 IR codes and retransmits them via Sony PS3 Bluetooth.

Advantages
  • Flexible placement. (battery or Mini USB powered)
  • Use any type of IR remote you like, so long as it supports Sony PS2 IR codes.
  • OSXBMC receives Sony PS3 Bluetooth codes (once fully supported)
  • Supports all FIFTY ONE PS2 & PS3 remote codes.

http://ir2bt.com/
You try and tell my wife to figure out what 51 buttons do... Wink
Thumbs Up 
Looks like a great device, (a little expensive though), very cool that it can be battery powered.

iordonez Wrote:You try and tell my wife to figure out what 51 buttons do... Wink
I think you misunderstod, this IR2BT device should let you us ANY universal remote to control XBMC.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Oh now that I can get on board with... Right now I have my apple remote taped to the back of my IR remote... looks like once of those space shuttles that piggy back on a rocket.
Gamester17 Wrote:Looks like a great device, (a little expensive though), very cool that it can be battery powered.

I think you misunderstod, this IR2BT device should let you us ANY universal remote to control XBMC.

Exactly so you can pick and choose which buttons you want and then use any remote you want.

This makes things similar people.
PS3's remote controller costs about half of that, what's the point besides using universal controllers with this?
It allows you to translate universal IR remote output into bluetooth, which is RF, passes through walls, etc, and does so fairly inexpensively compared to the alternatives. Not particularly useful for most people, but some have huge home theater installations with sources tucked away out of sight where it'd be pretty neat.
You could for example use a Logitech Harmony (or any other InfraRed universal remote), hide your Mac Mini away and only leave the IR2BT in front of your TV.

Like iordonez noted, the PS3 remote might simply have too many buttons and thus not be user-friendly enough for the wife/girlfriend/babysitter/granma/granpa
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Well not only that but the PS3 remote doesn't output IR so it can't turn on your TV, control your receiver's volume, etc. It's not a universal remote at all; it only addresses a single bluetooth device. So you end up with a pile of remotes, which sucks.
rodalpho Wrote:Well not only that but the PS3 remote doesn't output IR so it can't turn on your TV, control your receiver's volume, etc. It's not a universal remote at all; it only addresses a single bluetooth device. So you end up with a pile of remotes, which sucks.

That's why this thing is great. If not a bit expensive as pointed out. But if you don't have to buy a PS3 remote, Remote Buddy, Keyspan and / or other options and can just use a remote you already have then that cost is midigated and you end up with an even better option.
_tv_ Wrote:PS3's remote controller costs about half of that, what's the point besides using universal controllers with this?

In addition to the PS3 remote not letting you control your receiver, TV, etc thus requiring at least one other remote the PS3 remote has "too many" buttons for some, many buttons are the same type and require much time to get used to, and the PS3 remote isn't backlit making it harder to find the right button (when they all look the same) when you can't see in the dark.

I would agree if they can get this device down in price a bit it would kill. Keep it might it's not a major company, they need to turn a profit and recoup their costs, and it's only just now started shipping.
if IR2BT.com could offer a small rebate to the XBMC community/users (and give a few IR2BT for free to our developers on Team-XBMC) then I think they could possibly take-off faster as a company Big Grin

IR2BT.com may also be in of for graphic rework of their website so it looks more professional Rolleyes
...Joomla! cough, cough, ...wink wink, nudge nudge, hehe Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joomla

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR2BT - another "future" remote option0