XBMC runtime dependencies
Hello,

I have put for XBMC packages a lot of runtime dependencies on libraries (as the headers of those were needed to compile).

But I wonder if it's needed.
Basically the question is : is XboxMediaCenter binary dynamically linked to those libraries or does it embed them ? ( As the binary is quite big, I wonder ... )

This question is also to know if we can get rid of some dependancies to be able to create a live CD (<= 700MB)
Lightbulb 
wattazoum Wrote:This question is also to know if we can get rid of some dependancies to be able to create a live CD (<= 700MB)
use Ubuntu Mobile as the base and strip out the desktop enviroment
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30857
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=27428
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30752

Though I do not think a CD/DVD would be a good media as XBMC is depending on writing to the disk, which is why a LiveUSB version would be better than LiveCD version, (though could see XBMC being distrobuted as a LiveCD but that LiveCD should only be used to help install the LiveUSB version of XBMC.

Have the the user boot to a LiveCD which automatily install/extract the LiveUSB version from there onto any USB-stick that the user is asked to plug-into the computer. Maybe the LiveCD part could also have an initial first-time-startup-wizard to configure the hardware (graphic and audio drivers/settings).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
thank you.

But do you have an idea concerning this question ?

Quote:is XboxMediaCenter binary dynamically linked to those libraries or does it embed them ?
Well those in the apt-get line is all dynamicly linked if I have my facts right.
Those in xbmc/lib/* is the ones we staticly links for different reasons.

So all packages you really need is the ones in the apt-get line.
Although the -dev packages shouldn't be needed if it is compiled. I think l.capproti did it this way. First apt-get all compiled. and then made a new image without the dev packages which he transfered the binary too.

Might not free up extremely much space but everything counts Smile

Also if you make an Image you might want to compile with --hal-mount then you can skip gnome-volume-manager or ivman because then XBMC will mount the media too /media/*
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Quote: So all packages you really need is the ones in the apt-get line.
Although the -dev packages shouldn't be needed if it is compiled. I think l.capproti did it this way. First apt-get all compiled. and then made a new image without the dev packages which he transfered the binary too.

Actually I already did it on the PPA packages. But this answers my question. Right now I got an error thought. XBMC were trying to load /usr/lib/libcurl.so while on my system I have only /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 and /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.0.0 ... :-(
You are correct. To fix this you'll need to install libcurl-dev or create a symbolic link from that .so to libcurl.so.

-Yuval
This line solved it for me in Ubuntu 8.04

Code:
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-dev

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC runtime dependencies0