sort tags
Hi

I've got a question about the database, or to be more precise, it's way of ignoring articles. What is currently defined as "article"? I can see an issue with the database only ignoring "the" or having issues with different laguage articles. I assume XBMC is using "fixed" words to be ignored in sorting. This may work fine with "the", but XBMC would either not work for articles of different languages (which it actually should) or cause major issues. Primary example in this case would be the german article "die".

Now, I just recently found out about "sort tags". In the case of MP3 those tags are TSOA/TSOP/TSOT for artist/album/track sorting. Those tags could be used for sorting the database, but the original artist/album/title track could be displayed. Don't you think that would be a very nice way to handle this? would this even be feasible?

thanks in advance

Horscht
1. The sorttokens are specified in langinfo.xml, and are overrideable via advancedsettings.xml

2. We don't read TSOA/TSOP/TSOT so first of all they'd need to be added to the tag readers (not just id3 ofcourse) and then added to the database. Then the database retrieval methods would need to be updated to grab these sort details. This is a reasonable amount of work for (IMO) little gain.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

how would I be able to set the artist "Die Ärzte" to show up as an artist under "A" ("Die" as the german article), while keeping the artist "Die Happy" ("die" as in the english word "to die") under D?
You can't.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Could you make the article "Die." and change it to "Die. Ärzte" and "Die Happy"?
while this would be a dirty fix, it's just not nice.

But I don't see why adding an additional tag would be such a big effort. Sorry, but I do lack the proper coding skills. I will take an example: the artist tag would be "The Fratellis". The according TSOA tag would then contain "Fratellis", making that entry sorted under "F". The sort tags would not necesarily force the removal of the "ingore articles" function, which is still mighty convenient if you have "the" as the only article.

But all in all, the addition of sort tags would vastly improve XBMC imo.
You are welcome to your opinions (i.e. "Vastly improve"), however keep in mind that the music library has been in it's current incarnation for some 3 years, and this is the first request for said function.

Further, commenting on the effort involved when you admit you don't have the skills to do so is IMO asinine, especially when I (who has the skills) have already said that it is a "reasonable amount of effort".

As always, a patch would be welcome, assuming it doesn't slow things down unnecessarily (it shouldn't do), and I'm more than happy to advise on how I think it should be done.

Cheers,
Jonathan

ok, so it probably wont happen, I assume. But just in case anyone is gonna pick it up at some point:

MP3 Ogg Vorbis
-----------------
TSOP ARTISTSORT
TSOA ALBUMSORT
TSOT TITLESORT

EXAMPLE 1: A file contains the tags ARTIST=The Fratellis and ARTISTSORT=Fratellis. The ARTIST tag is used for all display purposes, but the ARTISTSORT tag is used for listing artists.
EXAMPLE 2: A file contains the tag ARTIST=At Vance but has no ARTISTSORT tag. The ARTIST tag is then used for both display and sorting.
Any chance this has been implemented in the last 8 years?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sort tags0