VOBSub problems
Does anyone have problems displaying VOBsubs?

It used to work in the earlier builds, but not anymore. Sometimes, you'll get a few subtitles here and there, by this I mean that during the movie the subs come and go, other times, there's nothing at all.

I have a few movies asian movies that have multiple language subs that work really weird too. Like "Curse of the Golden FLower". When it stars it doesn't show any subtitles at all. If I pop up the menu I can see the subs are enabled, and language 1/4 (Chinese) should show. If I switch to 2/4 (English), I will get chinese subs occasionally, but neither english, or Indonesion or malay show any longer.Sad

This used to work. I also played it on my Xbox and works OK.

Any ideas anyone?

BTW, SRT subs work fine.
i'd need a sample that exhibits this issue.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Dudeman Wrote:Does anyone have problems displaying VOBsubs?

The only issue I have with VOB sub's is that they always turn on my default. I've got them shut off in the settings but VOB's always seem to start with them on and I have to manually have to shut them off each time. Likewise the make this default for all videos (audio or video) never sticks and have to reset those settings each time.

My VOB Sub issue started with 0.4.0 while the make standard for all videos not sticking issue has been there as long as I can remember making changes to the default settings.
elupus Wrote:i'd need a sample that exhibits this issue.

I prepared a sample of the Curse of the Golden Flower movie. It's basically the first 4 minutes of the movie, and the complete IDX and Sub file. Other than cutting the rest of the movie off, everything is intact.

The first subs start at about 2:05 into the movie. There are 4 languages available: Chinese, English, Malay and Indonesian. The Chinese subs show up sometimes, but not all the time, the others don't.

I tried playing the sample on both my iMac as well as my real Xbox with XBMC with T3CH SVN rev11247 (1/6/2008). The Xbox plays displays the subs perfectly.

One thing that I noticed, is that the Xbox always shows "Caching Subtitles" and "Parsing VOBSub" just before play begins. I don't see this when playing it with XBMC Mac.

Unfortunately the movie sample is rather large (62MB), but I couldn't see how I could make this any smaller without re-encoding it, and I wanted to leave everything intact, just in case there's some kind of interaction between the VOB subs and the movie codec.

You can download the files here:

http://digistealth.com/Public/Golden_Flower

Thanks for the help.Wink
One other thing I forgot to mention is that i just checked all the versions I had to see when it stopped working.

Versions 0.1.4, 0.1.5 worked. I don't have version 0.1.6, but version 0.1.7 no longer worked. The current version (0.4) has the same problem.
Yes, idx/sub exhibit the same problems to me as well. Playing sporadically and being huge and cyan again. It was kind of fixed in earlier builds but now the bug returned. My workaround is to quit XBMC and play the video on VLC...
Hmmm, it sounds like part of the problem might be that my build of ffmpeg is again missing the XBMC patch for "nice looking" subs?? I thought I had it, but perhaps not (elupus, can you send me a pointer?).

In terms of playing vs. not playing, I'm not sure. I can't download anything from the sample link below.

Posting a detailed bug to Trac with attachments would be a very good thing.

-elan
elan Wrote:Hmmm, it sounds like part of the problem might be that my build of ffmpeg is again missing the XBMC patch for "nice looking" subs?? I thought I had it, but perhaps not (elupus, can you send me a pointer?).

In terms of playing vs. not playing, I'm not sure. I can't download anything from the sample link below.

Posting a detailed bug to Trac with attachments would be a very good thing.

-elan

This is weird... Last night everything was working OK, but it appears that something happened to my domain name (elapsed/expired??).Oo

Anyway, the server can still be reached at:

http://63.193.119.106/Public/Golden_Flower

As far as posting the bug with attachments, I was trying to save the server space by hosting my own, but I can certainly upload them there.
I'm experencing similar problems with 0.4.0 - VobSub-based subtitles do not work at all. They cause garbled video (with H264/MP4) and eventually cause a crash when attempting to switch to another video. Some seemingly random subtitles are displayed in cyan colour Eek

SubRip-based subtitles do work, however:
  • When switching from one .srt to another, the video speeds up for a short period of time
  • When navigating backwards through the video, no subtitles are displayed until navigating forwards again at least once.

Will provide any samples to fix this one if required Nod
Upon further investigation the video distortion looks a lot like a interlacing pattern. When attempting to change the de-interlacing settings I was promptly dropped to the desktop...
back from vacation today, so i'll see if i can spot this problem. don't think it's mac port related. heard the same about linux.

Ps. thanx for the heads up on subtitles turned off. I had forgot to check for that, so dvdplayer always auto starts subtitles from normal files.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

good to hear. trying to track it down myself but it looks to be inside ffmpeg, probably beyond my lousy c++ skills.

just incase it helps, here's what I get when trying vobsub with h264/mp4 video in 0.4.0

i pointed out in another thread - i can't get this to happen with xvid/avi video (instead, the subtitles are not displayed at all - or appear randomly). i will supply some example files shortly Nod
Any luck with this dudeman?

I've tried a whole bunch of container/video/embedded/external combinations trying to get this to work with no luck. Sad

I've filed a bug as elan suggested: http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/167
lankz Wrote:Any luck with this dudeman?

I've tried a whole bunch of container/video/embedded/external combinations trying to get this to work with no luck. Sad

I've filed a bug as elan suggested: http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/167

Nothing yet. I'm waiting for Elupus to look at it and see what he can do about it. Also Elan said that it it's possible he may have missed adding the "nice looking" subs patch. Perhaps he can try including it in the next build.

Anyway, I'm not the programmer, but I think that someone needs to look at the earlier versions (like 0.1.5) which worked and the new version and find what the differences are.

I also looked at your Trac ticket and I don't have the same problem you do. I never had the scrambled video you get, but I also don't have any H264 MKV files with VOBSUBS. My files are of the AVI (XVID) variety.

I'll download the samples you left on Trac and let you know the results.Huh
Well nice looking sub patch should only make it correct color. nothing else. and i just checked linux yesterday and it works just fine there. I've got no idea what could be wrong on mac.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VOBSub problems0