Plugin/Script Request/Proposal....XBMC Companion
So much effort has to get put into a plugin or script, and so little has to happen for that plugin or script to stop working.

I would like to propose an XBMC companion program. It would be run on another machine on the same network. I propose JAVA for the language for instant cross platform deployment...and my help. I can only program JAVA.

The program itself should collect direct media links from specified web sites. I like to think this could be done outside of XBMC much easier, since there's plenty of dev software available (except for XBMC), to parse html, nab the direct links, and serve them to an XBMC. Fixing any problem that would come up would also be easier, I know 10 java programmers for every 1 person I know even interested in python. I love python...don't get me wrong.

The only thing this would ensure is that the companion script/plugin used to access the JAVA program would never need rewritten. If a problem popped up, the fix would be in the java program.

Just an idea. I am totally willing to help.

I was actually wondering if most of this couldn't also be done in php and sent to the XBOX via webserver...but I wouldn't be any help in implementing that.

PM or e-mail me to get the ball rolling on this.
Yeah, I have recognized something with similar functionality to this in the Ooba script. Although, I think that you've already mentioned this. I believe this is probably the best direction to go to keep the scripts from quickly becomming outdated. It's disappointing to find that your favorite script doesn't work because of problems with links to the media.

So if you're looking for a second on this, I'm with you on it.

Although, I do not know how much use that I can be to help. I'm a C++ programmer and haven't done much Java. I can follow python and debug on occasion but haven't taken the time to dedicate to learning it thoroughly. Like other's here my time is limited but I'll try to assist if need be.

Thanks,
FC
Yeah, I have recognized something with similar functionality to this in the Ooba script. Although, I think that you've already mentioned this. I believe this is probably the best direction to go to keep the scripts from quickly becomming outdated. I agree it's disappointing to find that your favorite script doesn't work because of problems with links to the media.

So if you're looking for a second on this, I'm with you on it.

Although, I do not know how much use that I can be to help. I'm a C++ / Visual Studio programmer and haven't done much Java. I can follow python and debug on occasion but haven't taken the time to dedicate to learning it thoroughly. Like other's here my time is limited but I'll try to assist if need be.

Slainte,

FC
I've started tinkering. I wont have anything concrete for a small time, but I will. I've already gotten an e-mail or two about this from friends. We'll see what happens.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plugin/Script Request/Proposal....XBMC Companion0