Support for older NPR RealAudio PNM Protocol Streaming
Unless I'm a complete id10t, (and I very well may be) I can't get XBMC to play a RealAudio clip in this format:

pnm://real.npr.na-central.speedera.net/real.npr.na-central/atc/980209.atc.ra?start="00:32:31.5"&end="00:36:29.0"

I put this in a STRM file and it didn't know what to do with it.

It uses the older lpcJ codec, which sounds absolutely terrible.

I FINALLY got it to play using RealAlternative and MPC and pasting the pnm:// URL in there.

These NPR archives are all .smil files (meta data files) that point to a .ram file that contains a pnm:// URL.

Also, if anyone knows how to get the data from newer NPR stories that use that NPR player, fill me in. I can't find a direct link to the audio even by viewing the source.

From NPR:
Quote:From 1996 to 2003, most files are available in Real Media format only. From 2003 to mid-2005, both Windows Media and Real Media format are usually available. After this point, most audio should be available in the NPR Media Player.

In addition, most video prior to November 2007 is available only in Real Media format.

The RealMedia stuff up to 2003 all seems to be this lpcJ format pnm:// format.

I can get WMA from 2003-2005 to play by clicking the link, then viewing the source in the web page and pasting it into a .strm file.

I can't figure out how to get links to play for newer media.

What a PITA.

Thanks,

-Wes
pnm:// streaming format just isn't supported Sad
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for older NPR RealAudio PNM Protocol Streaming0