My p4 2.8ghz good enough?
molesza Wrote:Thanks for all the great responses. I think I might go ahead and try a fx5600 as they're only £20 on ebay. I only want fluid 720p so hopefully that will do it! If it doesn't work i'll retire the pc to server use and get a new one.

Well I wouldn't recomend it seeing it has other drawbacks as with greenscreens and such.(you need to enable TrippleBuffer in xorg then it should work) It's abit slow and is generally a very bad card, It's nvidia's black sheep. I'd suggest atleast go for something in the 6 series.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Please please report back on how it does too for other's sake!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Well I should have held off then. I ordered the card before seeing topfs2's reply. Doh! I will report back when it arrives tomorrow.
The card works for me as long as you force it to use tripplebuffer, i have written in a thread on how to do it so search my posts.
hope you get it working.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Bit off topic but maybe someone can explain this?

I tried the windows XBMC (XBMC_PC.EXE) with the runmefirst.bat and video was perfect speed!!! Only problem was it was black and white on all videos.

So I downloaded the latest t3ch release and the latest XBMC.exe revision. Was in colour but still same speed as the linux one.

My question is. Is there anyway to get the build that was working with XBMC_PC.exe to run in colour?
XBMC_PC.exe has nothing to do with the linux port. It is a DX port that jmarshall did awhile back to assist in skinning/scripting. You want the win32 linuxport compile which has its own forum.

Also, please don't thread jack. Just start a new one so a mod can move it to the correct place.
Sorry for taking so long to get back but the card didn't fit my case so i had to make a plan.

Anyway all up and running now with a fx 5400 nvidia card.

ITS working for 720p content!!! 70%-80% Cpu usage. Really chuffed!

Had to enable tripplebuffer in xorg.conf as topfs2 suggested but no other problems.

So to recap my system

p4 2.8ghz
512mb ram
nvidia fx 5400

PLays 720p fine! aven't tried 1080p but i know that is going to work.

Awesome! Thanks for everyones help and to the Devs. XBMC with HD is untouchable.
Correction the video card is an fx 5600
Glad to hear that the tripplebuffer trick helped you.

/Topfs2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My p4 2.8ghz good enough?0