Timing recommendation for 8.04?
A little OT, but I'm only learning/playing with Linux because of XBMC and figure others may be in the same boat. The 8.04 release yesterday is the first one to come out since I've been using Linux, and I'm wondering when it makes sense for a computer-savvy but Ubuntu newbie to upgrade.

For those who have been using Linux longer, what's your consensus about adopting new major releases? Are they generally good to go on day 1, or is better to wait a few weeks or months for things to stabilize?
Hardy is great and good to go. I've got it on a bunch of machines. I wouldn't upgrade my XBMC box until the devs start using it themselves, though.
Ditto what rodalpho said. I'm sticking to 7.10 until the devs decide that they wish to use 8.04 - IF they decide to do that. Honestly it's possible that there's no reason to update. I spend almost NO time at the desktop and all of my time IN XBMC which runs well. When the devs see an advantage and tell us it's time then I'll do it and perhaps run 8.04 on other boxes.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
It's not about an advantage, there is no real advantage for XBMC purposes, it's about them deciding to upgrade the machines they use for development. Gutsy won't be supported (with updates, etc) after april 2009, but I doubt it'll take em that long. The developers are enthusiasts and enthusiasts want to run the latest and greatest.
mh i'm running xbmc on hardy without any problems. (self compiled)
is it just luck? :o
I'm running 7.10 and xbmc on my 300gig USB drive, and 8.04RLS 32bit on my 4gig USB stick i bought JUST for xbmc. Working ok, but it just means IF you DO have any issues, you won't get support. I'm sure someone will still help, since 8.10 is a lot better and runs smoother (in my opinion.)
Well there's no support anyway, which is the main reason why I strongly suggest running the exact configuration that the developers do, because if something breaks they'll fix it for themselves.
Well, of course there's no support anyway, but you know what i mean. We all kind of family here, and still provide plenty of help and support when we can. Smile That IS mainly why i am using 7.10 though on my main USB 300gig (main Ubuntu used drive.) and 8.04RLS on my USB stick for testing purposes. And also only use daily builds myself as well.
I've been running XBMC on Ubuntu 8.04 for a couple of days and it mostly works fine.

The only problem I've seen is that for some reason, there is a high probability of fullscreen mode not working when running it via the default window manager and gnome (goes to fullscreen mode for a second, then pops back to window mode, sometimes it flashes back and forth between these states). I think this has something to do with the window manager and gnome desktop using 3d effects these days via compiz, etc and SDL/OpenGL fullscreen having some kind of issue with that. I didn't look into it much, though, because I prefer to run XBMC with no window manager since the Linux box I run it on is a dedicated xbmc box and when running XBMC by itself with no wm in fullscreen everything works great so far with the release version of 8.04.
Coca Cola Zero Wrote:The only problem I've seen is that for some reason, there is a high probability of fullscreen mode not working when running it via the default window manager and gnome (goes to fullscreen mode for a second, then pops back to window mode, sometimes it flashes back and forth between these states). I think this has something to do with the window manager and gnome desktop using 3d effects these days via compiz, etc and SDL/OpenGL fullscreen having some kind of issue with that. I didn't look into it much, though, because I prefer to run XBMC with no window manager since the Linux box I run it on is a dedicated xbmc box and when running XBMC by itself with no wm in fullscreen everything works great so far with the release version of 8.04.

Yep. Just turn off effects in Appearance. This is the same for 7.10 IIRC.
XFX nFORCE 630I, ASUS EN9400gt (512m), Antec Fusion V2 case, E6850 @ 3Ghz, 2GB 800mhz Ram.
Sony KDL52X3100. Integra DTR10.5.
Am running Hardy Heron compiled the latest svn and have no problems. I am very impressed actually with what the xbmc-linux community has achieved so far. I use ATI Radeon HD 3200 / amd 780G with a 5000+ no problems so far. Ubuntu 8.04 runs much better.

I am going to install a minimal version and get this to the point where I can boot straight in and out of xbmc without gnome or any other desktop. there was a thread with people attempting this but I am yet to come across an organized user friendly tutorial. As soon as I am done getting my Universal remote and custom Ir receiver configured I will tackle this.

All in all there is no reason as far as I am concerned not to upgrade to hardy Heron.
The only reason the upgrade isn't being encouraged as of now is that no devs are using and hence can't verify/test problems anyone may have.
cornbell Wrote:Am running Hardy Heron compiled the latest svn and have no problems. I am very impressed actually with what the xbmc-linux community has achieved so far. I use ATI Radeon HD 3200 / amd 780G with a 5000+ no problems so far. Ubuntu 8.04 runs much better.

I am going to install a minimal version and get this to the point where I can boot straight in and out of xbmc without gnome or any other desktop. there was a thread with people attempting this but I am yet to come across an organized user friendly tutorial. As soon as I am done getting my Universal remote and custom Ir receiver configured I will tackle this.

All in all there is no reason as far as I am concerned not to upgrade to hardy Heron.

I've gotta say, the way I did it was painless and quick. (although I already had my scripts written so I just scp'd them over to my box).. from beginning to end, installing 7.10 server, all dependencies, xbmc and scripts to start since there is no gdm took me about 30-40 minutes.. I was up and running with a perfect xbmc box (perfect to me) that boots to the xbmc screen in about 20 seconds... (that's with lirc working also)
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm trying to install the precompiled version of XBMC on Ubunty 8.04. However, I seem to be stuck a bit. I'm missing a package called libglew1.4-dev. Anyone know which repository I can add to my Software Sources to be able to install this package?

Thanks,
Harry
rrambo Wrote:I've gotta say, the way I did it was painless and quick. (although I already had my scripts written so I just scp'd them over to my box).. from beginning to end, installing 7.10 server, all dependencies, xbmc and scripts to start since there is no gdm took me about 30-40 minutes.. I was up and running with a perfect xbmc box (perfect to me) that boots to the xbmc screen in about 20 seconds... (that's with lirc working also)

rrambo can you make a noob friendly guide just stating the commands you use. I had everything running fine on the desktop install but now i have done a clean install using the minimal system and all i have done so far is install xorg. I'm new to linux so don't know much about scripts. or what i need to install before installing the dependencies for xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timing recommendation for 8.04?0