XBMC Live veses XBMC for Windows?
Question 
i dont know it seems like live is the most popular format on here besides the regular xbox. i seem to be missing the point of it? i guess because you can boot straight from the cd and not have to go into windows at all? someone clear this up for me thanks
mekanikal Wrote:i guess because you can boot straight from the cd and not have to go into windows

I think you have your answer right there! Big Grin
mekanikal Wrote:i dont know it seems like live is the most popular format on here besides the regular xbox. i seem to be missing the point of it? i guess because you can boot straight from the cd and not have to go into windows at all? someone clear this up for me thanks

1. Speed, least resources possible
2. Works 'out-of-the-box'...almost
3. Set-top-box 'feel', besides from your BIOS screen there's no way of telling its a computer
4. I will never have a box running Windows in my house Nerd
so then do you even need an OS installed if you just boot straight from the optical?
mekanikal Wrote:so then do you even need an OS installed if you just boot straight from the optical?

That's the point - no OS needed. You don't even need a Hard drive in the machine. You could either boot up and run off the cd or install it to a USB flash drive.
Don't have to pay for an OS either. Live, when done right, will not require you to fiddle with it to setup drivers or anything either - it will just work.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Don't have to pay for an OS either. Live, when done right, will not require you to fiddle with it to setup drivers or anything either - it will just work.

of course, it will only work with older hardware. The new GPU chipsets are not supported (Intel G45, nvidea 9300/9400, etc.).

Only if/when Live could move faster to support new hardware will it be viable for me since I am a forever tinkerer.
Well, it's a volunteer effort. By all means help to improve it! I admit that I wish it worked easily on the new hardware but once it's running on a good platform for me i won't mess with it much - it's supposed to be an appliance. If you really want to tinker then I wouldn't run Live I'd run Ubuntu 8.1 and compile from SVN - which is actually what I do right now. I do that on NVIDA 9x hardware with HDMI sound blah blah. Live will catch up just as soon as someone decides to update it <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Well, it's a volunteer effort. By all means help to improve it! I admit that I wish it worked easily on the new hardware but once it's running on a good platform for me i won't mess with it much - it's supposed to be an appliance. If you really want to tinker then I wouldn't run Live I'd run Ubuntu 8.1 and compile from SVN - which is actually what I do right now. I do that on NVIDA 9x hardware with HDMI sound blah blah. Live will catch up just as soon as someone decides to update it <shrug>

I am not complaining as there are many options for me right now (Windows version and/or Linux version). I love XBMC and see no reason to go back to VMC (BLAHG)!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live veses XBMC for Windows?0