Thoughts about Remote Controls to use in XBMC for Mac?
Question 
My understanding is that there's going to little built in functionality for OSXBMC. Basically that will be using a plug in module concept for remote (above and beyond Apple remote?).

I don't know if Apple remote support is going to be removed or if it will be moved to the plug in module along with other remotes (to be coded by people outside the core team?).

Regardless here's a thought for remote options for stock OSXBMC.

Wherever Apple remote support is located why not have one more for a set brand of DVD/VCR codes. IE Sony for example. As Elan stated in another thread based on the poll most OSXBMC users are doing a learning remote. That's great. And we all know that the Apple remote can support a good number of remote commands and that these can be taught to a learning remote. The problem is that the apple remote doesn't support near as many functions as OSXBMC is capable of. Some users may not to use more then the Apple remote can support. Now sure you can use a second apple remote for the other commands but this gets complex and problematic. And may likely require another program like RemoteBuddy or something else.

Long answer but if we have core (module) support for say Sony VCR and DVD codes mapped to OSXBMC then people can use a cheap universal remote, or a more advanced programable. They can use the stock codes without having to teach every command, or they can remap them as they like.

I know you'll probally need a IR to USB adapter to get the signals in since the Apple IR sensor is kind of specific. Regardless this seems like an easier and broader reaching solution that might benefit many users.

Anyone else that wants to use a Playstation remote, or XBOX remote would likely be covered by the plug-in module concept.

Thoughts? Input?

Sorry for the long, drawn out post.
I think the best answer for this is going to be the PS3 Bluetooth remote. I'll be submitting a patch with mappings closer to what's used by the XBOX remote this weekend. The script for using the remote has a todo list in it, but should be pretty usable right now, and the remote is pretty cheap at $25. Here's a picture if you're interested in what it looks like:

bmfrosty Wrote:I think the best answer for this is going to be the PS3 Bluetooth remote. I'll be submitting a patch with mappings closer to what's used by the XBOX remote this weekend. The script for using the remote has a todo list in it, but should be pretty usable right now, and the remote is pretty cheap at $25. Here's a picture if you're interested in what it looks like:

I agree there should be Playstation remote support. There are many pluses to it. And I'm sure that it will be offered under the Plug-In option for coming versions.

But for stock functionality I think my inital proposal has merit. Most are using learning remotes (and thus already paid for). Many are converts from another Mac HTPC program, or another HTPC platform and likely already have the IR sensor (and paid for). So the cost of entry is lower (even if $25 isn't much).

But consider this. The PS3 remote can't control your stereo or TV. Being that it's bluetooth you can't teach it to a learning remote. And it isn't backlit. Besides some people just like using the same programable they've been using.

I still my thought of using (Sony for example) VCR / DVD codes allows people to use (most) whatever learning, programable, or universal remote they want; is a lower/similar cost of entry; is more flexible; and potentialy easier to implement (once coded).

Still looking for thoughts from Elan, other team members, and other users.
It's friday night, I've had a few so don't hold me to all of this:

Firstly PS3 remote support may not be for all. A few people, including me, hate it. And by it I mean the actual remote, not your support for the remote. Too many buttons, No backlight, doesn't control my receiver, TV, Xbox 360, Cable box, etc. I wish Sony would have gone IR so I can train my Universal remote to control my PS3.

Second the Builtin Apple IR will not (easily) learn any other codes than those sent by the apple remote. So Xbox 1 Remotes, Generic radio shack Universal remotes, etc. will/may not work. If you want this look for the keyspan remote dongle thread, it's around her

Third, Appleremote support in the next version will consist of three modes, Universal, Appleremote and off.

In Appleremote mode you will be able to use all 12 of the remotes buttons (6+Hold 6) to control XBMC. It will feel good, be user customizable if you're daring and willing to edit keymap.xml. Otherwise it will just work.

Universal mode will allow you to program your apple remote to a universal remote using more commands (16 I think). They will consist of Macros (i.e. Up, Down, Left, Right, Menu + UP, Menu + Down, Menu + Left, etc.). They will map directly to current buttons used in the Xbox remote support. Again, user can change this by editing keymap.xml file (which is a total mess by the way, if anyone wants to sort it out... do)

Third is off... We don't look at the apple remote internally... Remote Buddy and Sofa Control do. I've take the time to make some default mappings included in keymap.xml so that this can be more elegant considering our limited button uses. Developers for both programs have been provided with those mappings and will probably come up with their best mappings.

I know there are probably tons of other questions, and they will be answered later. Just know that if you don't like the mappings the user is going to be able to change them... Unless you are my wife or grandma... in which case you will have to deal with the default mappings or read http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml over and over.

Elan will probably have something to add..
Sorry for the O/T but if you want to control your PS3 from a universal remote, you might want to look at this page http://ir2bt.com/
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
ChoccyHobNob Wrote:Sorry for the O/T but if you want to control your PS3 from a universal remote, you might want to look at this page http://ir2bt.com/

yeah I've seen that. I don't want to plunk down the cash for it. Also there are reports of using a PS2 IR remote on the PS3 that seem to be work. I watch blu-ray so much less than I do content on my Mac mini that it really doesn't matter. Although I still curse the 1050 button remote that Sony provides when I do. (exaggeration I know) it just feels like they hired a 10 programmers where 9 programmers and 1 designer would have been a better idea.
It is possible to get a lot more than 12 commands with the apple remote / built-in IR for those using a learning remote. I posted some info on this a while back here (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31643).

I used Remote Buddy to achieve this and I do not know how complicated it would be to implement the virtual remote concept directly into osxbmc, but this post seems relevant so I thought I would share the link.
As noted below we got more than 12 commands out of the Appleremote codes for Universal remote support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thoughts about Remote Controls to use in XBMC for Mac?0