xbmc.exe high cpu usage?
Ok, I think I just answered my own question...

That is only available for dual core CPU's

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Not a dual core chip...)
If we turn threaded optimization off in nvidia control panel, does that mean XBMC will also stop using multiple cores for playing back video?
tickehead Wrote:Ok, I think I just answered my own question...

That is only available for dual core CPU's

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Not a dual core chip...)

My CPU is dual-core and I don't have that option available.

My card is GeForceGo 7400.
I assume it must be a driver issue.
Hi There,

Because I'm going on a dangerous pad, I first would like to say I LIKE XBMC
I say it again I LIKE XBMC..

I'm running XBMC on a modded XBOX everything works like a charm...database,fanart and the cpu fan is set to 20%....

Last week I tried to install it onto a crap Acer laptop with a M661MX GPU..
It works in XP but CPU is 100% and frames are dropped all the time..When I choose another media player like VLC or MP-HC the cpu usage is around 30%..
I tried both the vanilla 9.04 repack2 and 2 svn versions at the end I Installed
ubuntu minimal and installed XBMC helas no good driver for the M661MX...and not a working XBMC no OPENGL was the error

Even on my own CLEVO-901C laptop with Nvidia 8700M, 4GB ram and Intel 6600 cpu I get a +30% when I'm watching the menu in XP, when I choose a Video and it starts playing it drops to a 2%.

I tried to let my brother in law experience the same comfort I have with my old Xbox, of course I couldn't explain it to him why a much newer laptop wasn't able to do the same..
I even tried to use the external player option, but I never got it to start using vlc instead of the default one..It's to say it didn't show up in the windows task manger so I guess, xbmc is still using the default one.

I'm trying things for over a week now on my own, it's time to start asking help.

I know it's a long post and I wish to thank you for even reading this.
Guy Forssman
Just my 2 cents... i have an idle cpu usage around 40% but when i play anything goes down to 6-35% and 35% being a hd mkv. My "solution" is to not having xbmc doing nothing. Tongue
guyf Wrote:Hi There,

Because I'm going on a dangerous pad, I first would like to say I LIKE XBMC
I say it again I LIKE XBMC..

I'm running XBMC on a modded XBOX everything works like a charm...database,fanart and the cpu fan is set to 20%....

Last week I tried to install it onto a crap Acer laptop with a M661MX GPU..
It works in XP but CPU is 100% and frames are dropped all the time..When I choose another media player like VLC or MP-HC the cpu usage is around 30%..
I tried both the vanilla 9.04 repack2 and 2 svn versions at the end I Installed
ubuntu minimal and installed XBMC helas no good driver for the M661MX...and not a working XBMC no OPENGL was the error

Even on my own CLEVO-901C laptop with Nvidia 8700M, 4GB ram and Intel 6600 cpu I get a +30% when I'm watching the menu in XP, when I choose a Video and it starts playing it drops to a 2%.

I tried to let my brother in law experience the same comfort I have with my old Xbox, of course I couldn't explain it to him why a much newer laptop wasn't able to do the same..
I even tried to use the external player option, but I never got it to start using vlc instead of the default one..It's to say it didn't show up in the windows task manger so I guess, xbmc is still using the default one.

I'm trying things for over a week now on my own, it's time to start asking help.

I know it's a long post and I wish to thank you for even reading this.
Guy Forssman

You can start by reading the stickies and posting a log.
Hi There,

SlaveUnit ,Can you point me to your stickie.
As you can se at my join date I'm using XBMC a long time, I even chatted with a co founder Frodo in the beginning.
I searched for answers in Google, I even used the "in site:xbmc.org"
I know of several semi solutions like vsync but not every notebook,laptop has a Nvidia or AMD GPU for one thing.

StevenSeagull your solution does not work for the ACER laptop. If you have read my post then you noticed that I have a lot of dropped frames. Posting that something works for you as a solution to a problem post is not productive. I could have done that myself I have 3 working pc's with your solution ans one original XBOX.

As more and more people buy this cheap 12" netbooks I hope cpu usage goes down.

Thanks for reading though
Guy Forssman
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
Hi!

Just want to say that I am such a user that gets scared away by the CPU usage. I will try a bit more but if I cannot get XBMC to use a decent amount of CPU I will not keep using it.
In my opinion that is a key "feature". If it is not possible to change this behaviour I think one cannot say that XBMC is Win compatible.

I am not complaining because this is freeware. I am just saying that this is such a disadvantage that I am really very surprised that the reviews of XBMC do not stress this more.

I really hope that this issue gets more focus because in my opinion it is a nogo.

Yes - I signed up here to post this because XBMC looks like the best software for HTPC that I tried and I would really love to use it.

regards
Daniel
If CPU is 100% (or 50% of a dual-core) then it is caused by your graphics driver, not XBMC.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Windows XP doesn't support XBMC graphic acceleration... might want to consider an O/S + gfx card that supports it or run the media on external third party players.

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/98312393.jpg/ at idle on the home screen.
http://img638.imageshack.us/i/99045242.jpg/ while playing a movie

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc.exe high cpu usage?0