xbmc.exe high cpu usage?
Is this a normal behaviour?

50% cpu usage for xbmc.exe when idling, just minimized, around 100% in fullscreen.

CPU: Intel E6600 3.2GHz, Vista x86
XBMC runs a gameloop, and will be constantly rendering whether it's on screen or not, so yes, it will use processor even if it's idling. Remember: It came from the xbox where all that runs is XBMC, so it'll take some time before it conforms with the regular expectations of "normal" windows programs. Basically it's not designed for a multitasking environment - if you are running it minimized (for music playback or something I presume?) then to be honest you're not using it how it was it intended.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:XBMC runs a gameloop, and will be constantly rendering whether it's on screen or not, so yes, it will use processor even if it's idling. Remember: It came from the xbox where all that runs is XBMC, so it'll take some time before it conforms with the regular expectations of "normal" windows programs. Basically it's not designed for a multitasking environment - if you are running it minimized (for music playback or something I presume?) then to be honest you're not using it how it was it intended.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for explanation, that's what I've been thinking, just needed a confirmation. And yes, it was discovered while I was just listenening a music. XBMC surpasses quality of Winamp in this aspectBig Grin

Also does it mean, that VGA is running at 100% all the time as well? I didn't check that.
jmarshall Wrote:It came from the xbox where all that runs is XBMC, so it'll take some time before it conforms with the regular expectations of "normal" windows programs.
Which means that a solution to this could be coming in the future? I think it would be worth it even just for the power saving aspects... this behaviour would stop Cool 'n' Quiet and EIST from working correctly.
It's not really my place to make a comment on that front at this point. It's somewhat up to those working on the win32 version.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Hehe I hoped jmarshall would answer those things but now he played the ball back Laugh
I'll put this on our road map but don't expect anything soon since we still have too less devs for the win32 port and my time is limited.
Patches are welcome Wink
Hi WiSo, I just wish to stress that I am too happy about this slowly taking shape to be "pressuring" for dates or anything.
I think, in a computing environment, that a correct CPU usage is useful to not "scare away" potential users. But I definitely recognize that we (you)'re in the early stages and there are more important things to take care of.
It depends on what screen is active, when playing music it's using ~14% on my E6600 + intel X3000, ~5% on my E5345 + nvidia quadro nvs 285 @work, but i've noticed cpu usage goes skyhigh when there is either a 3D list on the active window or a visualisation is active (projectM in this case).
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Charly Wrote:It depends on what screen is active, when playing music it's using ~14% on my E6600 + intel X3000, ~5% on my E5345 + nvidia quadro nvs 285 @work, but i've noticed cpu usage goes skyhigh when there is either a 3D list on the active window or a visualisation is active (projectM in this case).

interesting... wonder what can be the difference , it's always one (minimized) or both cores (fullscreen) with full usage here at 1920x1080p no matter what's on screen.
Tested it at home and have also not this kind of problem.
When playing music even with projectM activated both cores at ~16% (AMD XP 3800).
Both cores at ~56% when playing hd content (with frame drops though)
thanks for your reports guys, I've tried afterwards XBMC on my laptop and no problems there with high cpu usage there, so I figured it will be issue nVidia's OpenGL drivers, already found a fix.

Here you go:

It appears to solve the problem. I wonder what the consequences are on 3D gaming performance.
ashlar: you can specify this setting just for xbmc.exe in Program Settings tab Smile
Indeed I can, thanks a lot for the good suggestion. Didn't think of it. Big Grin
Hmm, I don't seem to have the "Threaded Optimization" in my list of setting in the Nvidia Control Panel... Anyone know why that may be? Specs below on my card and Drivers...

9600 GT
FW Version 174.16
nvCpIUI.exe 1.5.1600.01

Thanks for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc.exe high cpu usage?0