What's new in Apple Remote Keybindings in XBMC for Mac
When I try and SFTP the xml file into Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XMBC/userdata or /System it tells me I don't have permission to add or delete files. Sad
Dr JonboyG Wrote:When I try and SFTP the xml file into Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/userdata or /System it tells me I don't have permission to add or delete files. Sad

that's what sudo is for. sftp the files to a location where you do have permission to copy it. Then ssh in and "sudo mv ..." it.
Dr JonboyG Wrote:When I try and SFTP the xml file into Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/userdata or /System it tells me I don't have permission to add or delete files. Sad
The file needs to go into the 'frontrow' user's folder -
/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata
Ah, that worked perfectly - many thanks!
So, here's a question! I've been running XBMC on my Xbox's for ages. As such, I am very use to their remote commands and already have them all in place on my Harmony's. Is there a way to run the AppleTV using my Xbox (RCA) remote codes? Is it as simple as copying my T3CH XBMC for Xbox keymap.xml over to my AppleTV?

Optionally, is there a way to teach XBMC some new remote codes from within XBMC?

Thanks!
I've been using XBMC for 4 or 5 years without any WAF issues whatsoever. Then I switched out the XBOX with the ATV, and the WAF went down the tubes.

I share the same question as "darklordjames3" above. I've searched the entire forum, and I cannot find any mention that the original XBOX remote will not work with the XBMC-for-Mac port on AppleTV.

Despite that, I've tried everything, from porting Keymap to the GUI configuration options under both ATV & XBMC -- and have made absolutely no progress with the XBOX remote on AppleTV.

I am sure I'm missing a post, but cannot find it. Can anyone point me to the definitive statement on why the XBOX remote will not work on AppleTV, or if it can, how to go about it?

Thank you in advance!
rusten Wrote:I've been using XBMC for 4 or 5 years without any WAF issues whatsoever. Then I switched out the XBOX with the ATV, and the WAF went down the tubes.

I share the same question as "darklordjames3" above. I've searched the entire forum, and I cannot find any mention that the XBMC remote will not work with the XBMC-for-Mac port on AppleTV.

Despite that, I've tried everything, from porting Keymap to the GUI configuration options under both ATV & XBMC -- and have made absolutely no progress with the XBMC remote on AppleTV.

I am sure I'm missing a post, but cannot find it. Can anyone point me to the definitive statement on why the XBMC remote will not work on AppleTV, or if it can, how to go about it?

Thank you in advance!

What do you mean by "XBMC remote" ? Give me an URL to it so I can see what it looks like.
Davilla - thank you for the reply. I should have said "XBOX Remote". Here is a photo from a random location provided by Google:

http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/...71436s.jpg

I've also tried using a "Universal Remote" with the same IR codes as the XBOX remote, on the chance that there is something about that remote specifically that ATV does not like.

Thanks again for your input!
rusten - My understanding is that the IR receiver on the AppleTV is hardwired to only accept AppleTV remote codes. Currently there is no software method to get around this. As such, you only have the 6 AppleTV codes to work with. Using those six commands, many more commands can be built using the Launcher's "Universal Remote" option. This looks for macros comming from a universal remote that equal up to 3 AppleTV buttons. So, "Menu->Play->Forward" would equal one button on your universal remote that you could then use to map to "guide" through the keymap.

That information is about as far as I got before I gave up. Smile Currently it isn't user friendly enough for me to set it up, so I went back to the Xbox.
rusten Wrote:Davilla - thank you for the reply. I should have said "XBOX Remote". Here is a photo from a random location provided by Google:

I've also tried using a "Universal Remote" with the same IR codes as the XBOX remote, on the chance that there is something about that remote specifically that ATV does not like.

Thanks for the image. Previous to the AppleTV OS r2.3 software version, there was no way to get non-Apple IR remotes to be seen by the AppleTV IR receiver. With r2.3, non-AppleTV IR remotes are now being seen. The native AppleTV OS with r2.3 can "learn" a non-Apple remote but the issue now becomes defining what the additional buttons mean. Frontrow only needs to understand the 6+4 button presses. But with a bit of dev work, we hope to expand this to other IR buttons from a non-Apple IR remote.

This is a work in progress and there is no release date set for this feature enhancement.
darklordjames3 - Thank you for the info. It looks like I must fall-back to the XBox as well. It's a real bummer, because the ATV is a much nicer box. I've been waiting 4+ years to eliminate the loud XBOX with something a bit more powerful.

Davilla - Here's something interesting. With the ATV 2.3 "Universal" programming, I tested several IR remotes. Many of them were recognized when "programming" the ATV's Univeral section. However, the XBOX was one that the ATV would not recognize. In other words, even when programming the ATV, it saw no sign of IR coming from the XBOX remote or a Universal remote programmed to send XBOX IR commands.

However, using the actual XBOX remote is not important. What is important, is making a few more buttons available. This way we can use a Universal remote and get slightly more functionality than a D-Pad and Back button, which is essentially the limit of a ATV Remote.

However, even if I program the ATV Universal remote, none of those codes pass through to the XBMC application.

I've gone through the application thoroughly, and I can tell you that the lack of remote capabilities is the only major issue I see in moving away from the XBOX at this point. As a result, it would seem this should be a fairly important task on the ATC-XBMC development project.

What is the major issue; is it that the ATV will not pass raw IR to the applications? Does everything have to go through a closed IR class provided by ATV, rather than accessing a raw serial/communications class? At this point, it seems like it could help further the project if there were some specific definitions of the project requirements to enable this..

Quote:Davilla - Here's something interesting. With the ATV 2.3 "Universal" programming, I tested several IR remotes. Many of them were recognized when "programming" the ATV's Univeral section. However, the XBOX was one that the ATV would not recognize. In other words, even when programming the ATV, it saw no sign of IR coming from the XBOX remote or a Universal remote programmed to send XBOX IR commands.

The MS MCE IR remote is another one that is not recognized. The Hauppauge remote from the HD-PVR is as every other IR remote that I tried.

Quote:However, even if I program the ATV Universal remote, none of those codes pass through to the XBMC application.

I've gone through the application thoroughly, and I can tell you that the lack of remote capabilities is the only major issue I see in moving away from the XBOX at this point. As a result, it would seem this should be a fairly important task on the ATC-XBMC development project.

That is correct, Launcher 0.9 will only pass one set of IR buttons. Launcher 2.3 uses a modified XBMCHelper and this could be altered to pass more buttons. There was some work done with Plex to do this and adopting these changes is planned.

Quote:What is the major issue; is it that the ATV will not pass raw IR to the applications? Does everything have to go through a closed IR class provided by ATV, rather than accessing a raw serial/communications class? At this point, it seems like it could help further the project if there were some specific definitions of the project requirements to enable this..

Under Launcher 0.9, IR is handled using Frontrow/Backrow classes, there is a way to override this but the risk is causing problems in problems with Frontrow. Under Launcher 2.3, adding more IR buttons is possible and will most likely happen there first.
I thought the official design was now to add event servers and have them talk to XBMC, avoiding having to change the source.
Launcher 0.9 -> talks via EventClient protocol

Launcher 2.3 -> XBMCHelper is an EventClient
I'm not sure I understand.

If you have the IR handler (XBMCHelper) written and integrated in 2.3, and you have the full functionality present in XBMC (actual actuals, and all glue between the actions and IR) -- where does the hurdle come in?

Would it help if I sent a developer an XBMC remote to test?

There are several very key components that make life magnitudes easier on XBMC once you have the full-featured remote. For example, I have subtitles mapped to a button, angle change (stretch). Most importantly there is the 10-minute skip ahead/behind because XBMC's FF/Rewind don't work all that hot, and the menu'ing capability when you're on an item and you need to invoke the context manual.

On a separate note, is there anywhere one can download the Keymap.xml shown in this forum? It's not included with the SourceForge build that I had downloaded. I guess it has some of these features by holding keys longer? For example, holding Play longer will trigger context menus?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's new in Apple Remote Keybindings in XBMC for Mac1