What's new in Apple Remote Keybindings in XBMC for Mac
The good news is that Keymap.xml can be found on your ATV at /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system

The bad news is I copied it over and it doesn't seem to be getting read (at least I don't see it popping up in the log).

Also the DisplayRemoteCodes flag in the AdvanceSettings.xml doesn't seem to affect anything.
rusten Wrote:I'm not sure I understand.

If you have the IR handler (XBMCHelper) written and integrated in 2.3, and you have the full functionality present in XBMC (actual actuals, and all glue between the actions and IR) -- where does the hurdle come in?

Would it help if I sent a developer an XBMC remote to test?

There are several very key components that make life magnitudes easier on XBMC once you have the full-featured remote. For example, I have subtitles mapped to a button, angle change (stretch). Most importantly there is the 10-minute skip ahead/behind because XBMC's FF/Rewind don't work all that hot, and the menu'ing capability when you're on an item and you need to invoke the context manual.

On a separate note, is there anywhere one can download the Keymap.xml shown in this forum? It's not included with the SourceForge build that I had downloaded. I guess it has some of these features by holding keys longer? For example, holding Play longer will trigger context menus?

It's not as trivial as you are making it. If your XBOX remote is not seen by the AppleTV under 2.3 in "learning mode", then XBMCHelper also cannot see it. The AppleTV IR receiver is NOT a general purpose IR receiver. It's a micro-controller that has IR receiver capabilities and seems blind to certain IR remotes.

Does not matter how badly you want it, if the AppleTV IR receiver does not pass XBOX IR remote signals, nether Launcher 0.9 nor XBMCHelper will be able to work around this.
"Does not matter how badly you want it, if the AppleTV IR receiver does not pass XBOX IR remote signals, nether Launcher 0.9 nor XBMCHelper will be able to work around this."

Forgetting about the Xbox Remote, is there in place support already for some other remote? For example, I can load up any remote I please into my Harmony. Does ATV XBMC already have, say, Sony DVD player remote codes already working, or any other brand of DVD player/DVR (the most similar type of keys to what XBMC uses)?
readers are not paying attention Smile

Quote:Under Launcher 0.9, IR is handled using Frontrow/Backrow classes, there is a way to override this but the risk is causing problems in problems with Frontrow. Under Launcher 2.3, adding more IR buttons is possible and will most likely happen there first.

If you're asking me to drop what I doing and work on this, sorry not going to happen. It's in the queue and it pops out when it's done or close. No time frame as to when this will occur.
First - I'm certainly paying attention. If you read my replies and believe differently, quote it. I want to again state very explicitly: I'm not requesting you figure out how to make the ATV recognize XBOX remotes. We've resolved that, and we're on to Universal remotes or ANY alternative to the 6-button clicklet remote.

The issue, as it stands, is this:

If you have the XBMCHelper written, to pass IR events ... If XBMC handles the rest of the functionality, then I am asking ... is it fair to say that all that is left is the "glue" or essentially interop code to get UNIVERAL remotes, those which ATV DOES understand, to work?

If so, great, the project is defined and that specific task can be listed in the to-do's and prioritized.

If not, is there something I can provide you to help? Although I'm a developer, I'm not familiar with the XBMC code-base. Therefore, while I can't personally code it, I'll contribute money/testing/whatever else I can.
I believe davilla's last reply was to darklordjames3.

In any case, you don't need to be familiar with the entire XBMC codebase - you just need to be familiar with the XBMCHelper codebase (a single file pretty much) and be willing to explore how the new OS for the appletv does it's stuff Smile

Essentially, XBMCHelper gets all the reports from the IR remote and translates this into something that it then sends on to XBMC (it's an XBMC EventClient) in a format it understands.

I should think that one thing that would be really good is if someone explored the various structs and codes and so on that are presented on remote button presses to figure out how it all works. I doubt any of Apple's new stuff is documented in any way, if it is, then information on that would be great as well Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Quote:If you have the XBMCHelper written, to pass IR events ... If XBMC handles the rest of the functionality, then I am asking ... is it fair to say that all that is left is the "glue" or essentially interop code to get UNIVERAL remotes, those which ATV DOES understand, to work?

see http://pastebin.com/m4ffde570

defaults read /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/Front\ Row/OtherRemotes/ActiveRemotes

defaults is an app that manipulates a plist. Here we are using it to dump the contents of the plist. The target here is ActiveRemotes.plist. This contains the button mapping from the non-Apple remote to a command (Play, Left, Right, etc). This plist is created and setup by Frontrow.

XBMCHelper needs to read this list and setup a mapping from the CommandPattern to EventClient actions. The CommandPattern is what comes from the HID IR event. Right now XBMCHelper ignores non-apple remotes. It can tell the difference between individual Apple remotes and non Apple remotes.

Anyone that want to play around with this needs to look at XBMCHelper in the googlecode project as there are differences between this one and the one in the XBMC svn.
Maybe it's best to link to the Wiki page in the first post and make sure that one is up to date (instead of maintaining many instances).

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Apple_Remote
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Has anyone build a remote file for using a remote with no volume control on the ATV, using a receiver instead? That way the up/down arrows could serve a more useful purpose.
Hi I have read through this thread and am none the wiser for my question:

I would like to use my mac mini instead of appletv for XBMC. Will the standard apple remote work in the same was as it does on the appletv?

Or can I pull up harmony remote software, find Xbox remote and use these commands through XBMC on a mini?

Sorry if this has been answered but there is a lot of conflicting information. I don't want to tear my home network apart if its not going to work.
I've tried and tried and haven't gotten Universal Remote mode to work. I turned it on in Multi-Finder and in XBMC, and set the timing to 1 sec to make it easier to test, without any luck. At 1 second I should be able to duplicate commands by hand, but I'm also using a Crestron system to create IR codes with precise timing. Still nothing.

Anyone else have any luck?
Ok, I tracked down the issue. You've got to replace the XMBChelper app.

More info here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39209
Has there been any discussion to import the Harmony settings from Plex? Plex has hacked together a ton of Apple Remotes to make many, many available buttons to Plex. They even have a Plex Player hardware device listed in the Harmony software now. I assume a similar method could be used in XBMC...
I'm a brand new user of XBMC on ATV. I've got the current ATV version (2.3.1), and XBMC Atlantis (bf1). I believe I've properly followed the instructions on the site as to installation.

My issue is that my ATV Remote is not performing as documented in the first post. In particular, the "+" key increases volume and the "-" key decreases volume. This leaves me without any way to seek through a video file other than 30 seconds at a time, which is very painful.

I have indeed read through this thread but am afraid I don't have enough context to understand what it may be trying to tell me. I see that there's a possibility of needing to change a keymap file or a XBMChelper application or both. I don't immediately know how to do either of those things and the hints I've seen in this thread seem geared to people who already knew 90% of what they needed to know to do it. I also looked at the Apple and ATV Faqs with no more luck.

Any suggestions for me?
brucek2 Wrote:My issue is that my ATV Remote is not performing as documented in the first post. In particular, the "+" key increases volume and the "-" key decreases volume. This leaves me without any way to seek through a video file other than 30 seconds at a time, which is very painful.

Any suggestions for me?

You need to modify the Keymap.xml file and save it in your home directory where custom settings stay when you do xbmc upgrades.

You have a couple options

1) Try this modified keymap : http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=235...stcount=38

and save it in : /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

2) Make your own changes.
Copy the keymap.xml file from
/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/Keymap.xml
to
/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml

then edit it. Look for the AppleRemote sections and you'll probably see entries for Volume Up / Volume Down on your +/- keys. Change them to BigStepForward & BigStepBack.

(directories aren't 100% accurate as I'm doing this in my head. But that's a rough estimate where to look)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's new in Apple Remote Keybindings in XBMC for Mac1