audio glitch - possible casue/fix
howdy, I've been playing hd mkv files for a while with VLC and for a few months now using XBMC. When watching a movie in xbmc every once and a while i hear this very loud "digital noise" that usually scares the piss out of me! anyway this is completely random and never occurs twice if I rewind and play that part of the movie again. Well I know why! I Believe it occurs because of system event sounds. IE I have mac mail set to play a sound when i get a new mail (this i believe is the overall cause of the audio popping, if mail is'nt running i don't get the glitch). the way this can be tested is to have itunes open and playing a song (via PCM, assuming that your only audio output is thru spdif and audio in system prefs is set to digital out) while a song is playing in itunes, open XBMC and and the "digital noise" will occur when playing a movie using a DD or DTS format. My best poor mans explanation is that 2 digital sources are sharing the same digital output mashing the two together and getting noise as a result. so the moral of the story is keep apps like mail and anything else that will play system event sound closed. I know that VLC has a way of silencing other programs while its running(itunes will stop playing and wont play until vlc quits), not sure if something like that could be implemented in future versions of XBMC.

note: im using a 1.83 mac mini with spdif audio to my amp. audio is set in XBMC to play dd and dts. osx is set to allow PCM or dd/dts.. I tested this in 0.5.0b2
If anything is injected into a DTS/AC3 stream the receiver will play a loud static noise and it disrupts the signal, it's best to keep all other applications from making any sound while watching a movie. Also if you hear this noise when starting a movie you can turn off the interface sounds in XBMC. This will turn off the little blips and beeps when you navigate.
I get that same crazy noise when I close media, either a stream or video file. I have system noise turned and nothing I do seems to make a difference. Is there perhaps a patch for this?
I have this issue also. it only happens to me if it is a HD video (not sure what the audio codec is used but will check when i get home). DVDs and SD avi files do not display this issue. I will try turning of the navigation sounds when i get home to see if this fixes it. Im running Karmic on an ASROCK ION 330 using spdiff to my amp. Using ALSA not Pulse as far as im aware. Would be good to find a fix as it is so frikin loud it still makes me jump if im not expecting it! I have been running XBMC for years and it often comes and goes depending on the build. im running alpha2 from the team-xbmc repo and it exists on this build.
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini
shagworthy_uk Wrote:I have this issue also. it only happens to me if it is a HD video (not sure what the audio codec is used but will check when i get home). DVDs and SD avi files do not display this issue. I will try turning of the navigation sounds when i get home to see if this fixes it. Im running Karmic on an ASROCK ION 330 using spdiff to my amp. Using ALSA not Pulse as far as im aware. Would be good to find a fix as it is so frikin loud it still makes me jump if im not expecting it! I have been running XBMC for years and it often comes and goes depending on the build. im running alpha2 from the team-xbmc repo and it exists on this build.

if you are running Karmic on an ASROCK ION 330, I suggest posting in the linux help and support section, this section is for XBMC for Mac/AppleTV and it uses CoreAudio as ALSA and PulseAudio do not exist on Mac/AppleTV platforms.
davilla Wrote:if you are running Karmic on an ASROCK ION 330, I suggest posting in the linux help and support section, this section is for XBMC for Mac/AppleTV and it uses CoreAudio as ALSA and PulseAudio do not exist on Mac/AppleTV platforms.

My bad. Sorry, should have looked before i leaped. How embarrassing.
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio glitch - possible casue/fix0