Dropping frames while playing high-bitrate SD content
I have issues with 1080p dropping frames like crazy, while CPU utilisation is < 75%. Recently I noticed that I get the same issue with SD content (640x480, CPU < 30%) if the bitrate is high enough (~20 Mbit/s). However, the video - which btw is WMV - plays just fine in other players (tested with Totem and VLC).

I find this very, very strange. Any ideas? Anyone having similar issues? Btw, my CPU is an AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+.
Hi, I am having a similar issue, regardless of what video I play in XBMC it drops frames, between 1-5 every second, but the CPU usage never goes above 35% unless I watch an mkv then it hits 40%, sometimes its even as low as 4-5% and it still drops frames. If I use VLC to watch the same videos, it runs smoothly, all my videos. It is very strange.

I have disabled vertical sync, and I turned off thread optimization. Although neither seemed to make a difference. I figured going from Beta 1 to Beta 2 would change things since I have a dual core and Beta 2 is supposed to take advantage of that, but nada.

Specs ----
XBMC: Atlantis beta 2
Proc: AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ (2.21GHz)
Memory: Kingston 2GB PC4200
HDD: WD 250GB Caviar
GPU: Nvidia XFX 8600GT XXX (OC 624MHz)

I am using the latest XFX drivers and I am wondering if I should try using the regular Nvidia drivers, but I dont think it would make much of a difference.

Did you ever figure out your problem?
What sort of video and what resolution? I would be using the NVIDIA drivers I think - ENVY does a good job of installing them. dual cores have been utilized for awghile now, it's possible your CPU is too slow despite the CPU usage not pegging. without knowing more about the video content it's hard to say. Anything show in your log?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
First off, I do not know where the log is, I enabled debug logging and that information block was on the top of the screen, but I couldnt find any log file.

The movie I have been using to test is a backup of Get Smart, here are the specs

VCodec: XVID, Resolution: 640x352, FrameRate: 25
ACoedc: MPGA, Channels: 2, SampleRate: 48kHz

I have been using XBMC on my TV through my TV Output, its a regular SD TV so I have been running it at 800x600. I just tried running it on my regular screen (turned off tv output) at 1280x1024 and no change other than CPU usage went up to 50%.

I will try installing the normal nvidia drivers to see if that is an issue, again, VLC plays the video fine no dropped frames, its just in XBMC, I also tried the MPlayer standalone, and it also worked fine.

Wow, i just realised this is in the Linux subforum, sorry about that, found it from a search.
Goto >> Settings >> Video and disable upscale for SD or whatever it is called. This was a problem in the beta one release. Maybe it hasn't been fixed in the beta two release.

And just to clarify, this is to stop the dropping of frames playing SD content only.
althekiller Wrote:I like how this thread went from "specifically sound" to "overclocking." It was a good attempt guys, almost a thread that could be useful in the future.

I really miss althekiller :(
After reinstalling the regular NVidia drivers, it works fine, no dropped frames, no jitter.

It must have been the XFX drivers. Thanks for your help BLKMGK.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dropping frames while playing high-bitrate SD content0