Is XBMC for me?
I have been looking at the Media Center scene for a qhile such as:
freevo, geexbox & mythtv.

I have installed mythtvbuntu on my server, Angry Its way too complex, slow and I gave up after 24hours of reading tutorials online.
-----------

Is XBMC for me?
- I have a spare server (high spec 3yrs ago, lol)
- I have "Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro"

My Wish is:
- To request files/movies/tv to PS3 from Server.
- To use s-video (for now) to output server to MainTV
- To use PCTV (above) to watch, or record TV

Any help is much appreciated, xbmc seems great compared to the alternatives, except i see little/no mention of live streams.
XBMC does not record TV, it's not a PVR. It does work as a mythtv frontend, though, and it's the best solution in the world for streaming media.

I suggest picking up a TiVo and using that in conjunction with XBMC.
Thumbs Up 
Thanks rodalpho,
Iv'e seen xbmc in action. Which is why ive posted here Nod

TiVo is USA based, not much point of it in UK I don't think But anyway Thanks for the update.

Wink if xbmc has addon as a pvr, presumable be better than those i listed above.

----------------

"it's the best solution in the world for streaming media." - Does that include acting as media server for PS3? that's my main desirability.
If so I may be back.
TiVo is actually available in the UK, but only the SD version.
XBMC includes a uPNP server that should work with the PS3. Don't know if anyone's tested it, though.
XBMC was originally for the XBOX ... with the porting efforts at hand, there may be some value in posting a 'Feature Request' for SDL/Linux versions to offer PVR functionality.

I imagine it to be a significant effort, similar to the DVD functionality.

KZ
XBMC is designed to work as a media-player front-end/client, not a media-server back-end-server, (so even though XBMC does have a built-in UPnP MediaServer which yes can serve the PlayStation 3 that is not what it is designed to do and thus is not the ideal solution to use as such).

With XBMC the solution should consider is having XBMC on a HTPC (fast x86 computer in a good looking case) or an old first-generation Xbox to your TV and use that as your media-player instead of your PS3. Then on your server you install Mythbuntu, however you only install the MythTV back-end (not the MythTV front-end), then there is built-in support in XBMC to stream live-TV from that MythTV back-end over the network, ...it is however is early stage of development so there is not yet built-in control for the EPG (TV-Guide) and recording, for that you either have to use the available python script for XBMC (or use MythTV's web-control from your computer) to scheduale recordings and such. Hopefully in 6-months or so XBMC will have full build-in support (with a EPG) to fully control a MythTV back-end server over the network (or locally if you are using XBMC for Linux and you have that and the MythTV back-end installed on the same Linux computer).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC for me?0