• 4(current)
[GSoC] GPU hardware assisted H.264 decoding via OpenGL GLSL shaders - developers only
I'm no hardcore programmer, but from what I understand new NVCuVid gives us access to the video-decoding hardware which is what we really want Big Grin
Ideally we want hardware processing for everyone. Not just users with the latest NVIDIA cards. That's why we're going the OpenGL route.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'd pay $300 for 1080p x264 support on Xbox1 Smile 720p would be great too.
I'm not alone
Just a note, the current GPU assisted decoder efforts won't work on xbox1. They are OpenGL, xbox uses DirectX. It's also unknown if the GPU is even capable.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
a rumor once said that a guy in microsoft had used the gpu to decode hd at 1080i (guess this was wmv eh)

so it uses ffmpeg hack -> opengl -> hw?
ultrabrutal Wrote:a rumor once said that a guy in microsoft had used the gpu to decode hd at 1080i (guess this was wmv eh)
Nobody ever told me that rumor. Video codec shouldn't make a huge difference as far as the GPU implementation is concerned, unless he was decoding 1080i MPEG stream.

ultrabrutal Wrote:so it uses ffmpeg hack -> opengl -> hw?
I'm not sure what "it" refers to. I'm also wondering why ffmpeg is refered to as a hack. And OpenGL runs on the hardware, it doesn't transfer to.
any word on how this is coming along?
how about we just tell you when it's finished?
Thumbs Down 
malloc Wrote:how about we just tell you when it's finished?

Bad, really bad.
How about you stop giving childish comments? Or starting to treat your "fanbase", or better, the people interested in this development with a little respect?

Even if I will get a ban for this, it will be good for the xbmc project.
Don't get me wrong, the xbmc-linux is one of the most important programs/projects for me and I appreciate your work and commitment for it. But your posts in this specific thread are without any respect for the people interested in the development of the GSoC GPU assisted H.264 decoding. As a bonus you scare away potential contributers who stumble over this and thought about helping to code with your inapt posts.
If you don't know what it means to have a puplic forum and to show the development to the public then hire some fans to handle the communication. Rudd announced his project to the public and even started a blog. The project itself is one of the most important projects for the xbmc development and therefor of high interest.

If the people asking for a short update in this thread made a mistake, like forgetting to use the search or forgetting to search the mailing list or not reading the wiki, give them advice and do not treat them like kids asking for bubblegum every minute.

Overall my comment is way nicer then the things I got in my mind this morning reading your trolling attempt. Perhaps you should try to let pass some 12 hours before you comment in this thread.
hal2100 Wrote:Bad, really bad.
How about you stop giving childish comments? Or starting to treat your "fanbase", or better, the people interested in this development with a little respect?
You must not be Blizzard fan, they give comments like that whenever anyone asks questions like that for any of their projects. Same with other companies.

As this is a developer's forum, I would expect contributions, not requests for progress updates. The code we have is available to all in our public SVN. Feel free to submit patches. For others who have given technical comments in this thread, I have replied with my judgment based on its technical merits.

hal2100 Wrote:If you don't know what it means to have a puplic forum and to show the development to the public then hire some fans to handle the communication. Rudd announced his project to the public and even started a blog. The project itself is one of the most important projects for the xbmc development and therefor of high interest.
So we should hire non-developers to manage the development forums? Then should we open up a new "really, developers only!" forum where our developers can speak publicly to others interested in development of XBMC, not just time lines? I would expect that since Rudd started a blog for the project, if he had the time and inclination to talk about the progress, he would do so without being asked by users.

hal2100 Wrote:If the people asking for a short update in this thread made a mistake, like forgetting to use the search or forgetting to search the mailing list or not reading the wiki, give them advice and do not treat them like kids asking for bubblegum every minute.
This thread has basically been turned into a "what's the status?" thread. Look at the history. People who use message boards shouldn't need to be reminded of such things. Would you walk into the kitchen at a restaurant to ask how the soup is coming along?

hal2100 Wrote:Overall my comment is way nicer then the things I got in my mind this morning reading your trolling attempt. Perhaps you should try to let pass some 12 hours before you comment in this thread.
Has it been 12 hours yet?
Smart ass Smile
@hal2100: I felt the same way when I read malloc's comment and agree with everything you said.

@malloc: You have obviously not been at a restaurant and waited for soup. If my soup was taking a long time to arrive, I would politely ask the waiter: "How's the soup coming along?". If he ever replied "How about I just tell you when it's finished.", his tip would be $0.00 and I would have a quick chat with his manager on the way out. I probably would not frequent that restaurant again.

I'm sure that your comment stems from the pressure that you are under to complete this project, but remember, this is public forum and you don't know who is reading.

The people here are very interested in your work and love frequent updates, even if it's just a small thing. These small updates that only take a few minutes help keep the project alive.
So you don't pay for your soup and you don't come back again...
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you Image Read Me First
Well then let me say what I thought was obvious. We wanted this finished for Atlantis. It wasn't ready. We still want this ready for the next release. Who knows if it will be. Any _developers_ interested in the project are free to contribute. But I must remind them that this is an OpenGL shader implementation, not CUDA, not NVIDIA VDPUA, and not any other proprietary video decoding algorithm. All of those would be completely different projects (which you're still free to contribute patches for, but they have not been started). They can find the code for Rudd's project at http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...2008-rudd/. And for those that can't understand the page, there have been no updates in 4 months.
malloc Wrote:Well then let me say what I thought was obvious. We wanted this finished for Atlantis. It wasn't ready. We still want this ready for the next release. Who knows if it will be. Any _developers_ interested in the project are free to contribute. But I must remind them that this is an OpenGL shader implementation, not CUDA, not NVIDIA VDPUA, and not any other proprietary video decoding algorithm. All of those would be completely different projects (which you're still free to contribute patches for, but they have not been started). They can find the code for Rudd's project at http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...2008-rudd/. And for those that can't understand the page, there have been no updates in 4 months.

now wouldn't have that been a much easier response to type than what you did?

i apologize for asking a question about a feature I (and I am sure alot of others) are very anxious about. I will avoid this forum as it is obvious that "non-developers" are not welcome for questions and status updates...Rolleyes
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[GSoC] GPU hardware assisted H.264 decoding via OpenGL GLSL shaders - developers only3