• 5(current)
[GSoC] GPU hardware assisted H.264 decoding via OpenGL GLSL shaders - developers only
feerlessleadr Wrote:now wouldn't have that been a much easier response to type than what you did?

i apologize for asking a question about a feature I (and I am sure alot of others) are very anxious about. I will avoid this forum as it is obvious that "non-developers" are not welcome for questions and status updates...Rolleyes

At more than 10x the word count, I'd say no, it wasn't easier. That any the information I provided was readily available to anyone with the slightest knowledge of svn, a tool that anyone in a _developer only_ forum should possess a great amount of knowledge about. And since it's obviously not clear to those who have become lost here, let me quote the description of this forum:
Quote: XBMC Development Forums (9 Viewing)
Developers forums for XBMC development. Programmers/Coders only!
No end-user support and no feature/function requests here please!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
So, let me get this right...

The point is to let XBMC decode HD content better by sharing the workload with the GPU, right?

So if this works, it could help with .264 playback on the Xbox? Regardless, it sounds quite interesting. Definitely over my head. Big Grin
digitalhigh Wrote:So, let me get this right...

The point is to let XBMC decode HD content better by sharing the workload with the GPU, right?

So if this works, it could help with .264 playback on the Xbox? Regardless, it sounds quite interesting. Definitely over my head. Big Grin

Yes, we're offloading some work to the GPU. However, as I've said before, this particular implementation is unlikely to benefit the xbox because a) it's done in OpenGL (xbox is DirectX), b) the GPU hardware on the xbox probably doesn't meet the technical requirements, and c) most of our developers have lost interest in the xbox.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
malloc Wrote:Yes, we're offloading some work to the GPU. However, as I've said before, this particular implementation is unlikely to benefit the xbox because a) it's done in OpenGL (xbox is DirectX), b) the GPU hardware on the xbox probably doesn't meet the technical requirements, and c) most of our developers have lost interest in the xbox.

Yes, I re-read some of the information here last night, and I gathered that the odds of Xbox Support is HIGHLY unlikely. It's a bit sad too, because it sounds like this could be the answer to non-stuttering .264 playback on older systems.

Very fascinating...just a pity that none of these brilliant devs care enough about our old xbox to do some separate research for the DirectX crowd...although after reading the arguements in the "should xbox be supported" thread, I figured this would be the case...

Ah well...as long as XBMC stays alive.
see, in our brilliance we have realized that the xbox is a DEAD platform as far new media is concerned.
spiff Wrote:see, in our brilliance we have realized that the xbox is a DEAD platform as far new media is concerned.

I'm not going to argue that it's not past it's prime...but I think that if somebody were to have the love and knowledge, .264 playback on the xbox1 platform sounds pretty possible. Wouldn't that mean that it's technically *not* dead for new media?

Again...I agree that HTPC is going to be the way to go, but to say that the Xbox CAN'T play HD content doesn't seem to be right...this stuff makes it sound like it could still be feasable...we'll just never see it. Sad
Quote:I'm not going to argue that it's not past it's prime...but I think that if somebody were to have the love and knowledge, .264 playback on the xbox1 platform sounds pretty possible. Wouldn't that mean that it's technically *not* dead for new media?

Again...I agree that HTPC is going to be the way to go, but to say that the Xbox CAN'T play HD content doesn't seem to be right...this stuff makes it sound like it could still be feasable...we'll just never see it.
These statements seem about right, coming from someone who's made it quite clear that they aren't a developer.

The Xbox's GPU is GeForce3 class, so at best it has hardware (but AFAIK no interface) for OpenGL 1.2. GLSL (which this entire project is based around) wasn't introduced until OpenGL 1.5. So no, the Xbox has no hopes of seeing any benefits here.
AFAIR the Xbox GPU is between GF3 and GF4 - so more than a 3 but missing stuff from a 4.
Rumor once said a MS dev was able to decode full hd video using the GPU. I do not remeber the rumor saying anything about codec, so as guess would be a WMV file or a TS at 1080i
Quote:The Xbox's GPU is GeForce3 class, so at best it has hardware (but AFAIK no interface) for OpenGL 1.2. GLSL (which this entire project is based around) wasn't introduced until OpenGL 1.5. So no, the Xbox has no hopes of seeing any benefits here.

I thought I read in one of the posts here that HLSL was supported, and that transitioning from GLSL to HLSL wasn't too far fetched...that was my main reason for asking in the first place. I thought it was stated that making this work for an Xbox WAS theoretically possible.
It's likely too early a version of HLSL to contain the needed functionality. After all, it is a GeForce 3 (or 4). But again, anyone willing to attempt the port is welcome since the source code is available. We're straying off topic...
malloc Wrote:At more than 10x the word count, I'd say no, it wasn't easier. That any the information I provided was readily available to anyone with the slightest knowledge of svn, a tool that anyone in a _developer only_ forum should possess a great amount of knowledge about. And since it's obviously not clear to those who have become lost here, let me quote the description of this forum:

i guess it's a good thing i didn't ask for any support then...
In the developer only forum, yes, no support given there.
Although there are plenty of support forums for all the various platforms. Just hit the main page, and you will see all of the support forums available there.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you Image Read Me First
How about letting this thread go to sleep until there's actually some news about the topic?
Sorry to wake up this thread again Rolleyes but I also remembered details of a guy at MS once claiming to have implemented real time HD decoding on the xbox1 (of HD WMV material) - his name is Guobin (Jacky) Shen.

The original page is no longer available, but the link to a google cache of his web page with details is: http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:oyrfgSEQfbsJ:icassp98.microsoft.com/~jackysh/+xbox+generation+1+wmv+gpu+acceleration&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au

Also see: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/jackysh/ and http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/peop...jects.aspx
Appears to be published. If anyone on a University network has access to journal publications they can google "Accelerate Video Decoding with Generic GPU" and read up on it.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[GSoC] GPU hardware assisted H.264 decoding via OpenGL GLSL shaders - developers only3