Need help with Video/TV-Out Resolutions
hey folks,

i got ubuntu + xbmc ppa svn running on my box now. still testing on a regular dell tft monitor though ...
now i am about to hook it up to my TH-42pa50 Panasonic plasma which has a native resolution of 852x480. Component in can take 480p of course + 720p and 1080i ... those two are then scaled by the plasma.
Now I am wondering how I should set up my xorg.conf ... should I try to output the native panel resolution of 852x480?
My next question would be, how do the tv-out resolution and the video resolution I can set inside XBMC interact? E.g. when I have tvout set to 480p in xorg.conf, does it make any sense to set XBMC Video to 720p? I am a bit confused about how these two resolution settings are related to each other.
It would be really great if someone could explain this ...

thanks,

boba
You would probably be hitting a larger user base if you asked this on the Ubuntu forums. Once you get it working in Ubuntu in general it should work in XBMC with no problems.
So I've detailed my experiences running component out with XBMC & Ubuntu here

Assuming you have an nvidia card, it shouldn't be too hard to setup your xorg.conf file (in fact, running the restricted drivers does most of the xorg.conf setup for you if you want).

I'd recommend 720p, as that produces the most pleasing picture to my eyes.

You'll likely have significant overscan issues (see my thread) but you can adjust that reasonably well with the XBMC gui zoom settings and the XBMC vid player adjustments.

Video playback still tears for me under XBMC linux, but it runs and looks reasonably well otherwise.

If you're having big problems with your xorg.conf (and if you have an nvidia card) I can post my settings.

I'm pretty much a linux newb and it wasn't very hard to get the comp out working...

Cheers.
I also detailed what I did to get the video working, including my entire xorg.conf file.

Hope it helps someone as this forum helped me a lot.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33421&page=3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help with Video/TV-Out Resolutions0