Help configuring a Mac Mini dedicated HTPC running XBMC
Network Media Streamer from a NAS: DVD ISOs, FLAC, MP3, DivX, AVI, MPG etc

I am considering using Mac Mini with XBMC to stream from a NAS the above formats.

Would it do a DVD ISOs, (SD & HD Content from HD / Blu Ray).

I have used Macs in the past but have no major interest in it besides using it for Media Streaming from a NAS with XMBC.

Would this work well?

Does the remote provide good enough navigation for the XBMC?

Jezz_X Wrote:They just haven't changed or updated their site yet because they like to focus on pumping out releases
But he is right they have their own forum for this stuff
If you really want a dedicated htpc then I suggest you go for the linux version because it dosn't require any desktop running under it like the windows and OSX versions do.

Are you saying this can be done on Mac Mini using a Linux distro with XBMC and still output a good HDMI-DVI signal?

althekiller Wrote:Under linux all that's NEEDED is an xsession which can be had with startx. There's really no reason OSX should boot noticeably faster than linux other than gdm (which you don't need) takes a painfully long time to do its thing with the framebuffer. Also, OSX may give you a desktop while it's still doing things that need done before it is usable in the background (like winxp does) giving the impression it booted faster.

Does this desktop load and USEFUL quick apps? Say like a web browser thats usable rightaway while you wait for the whole thing to load up?

JeffElkins Wrote:These guys are right. I'm using the Mac Mini running Ubuntu w/o a desktop manager as my home HTPC and it's perfectly awesome and very wife friendly. I did get the Mac IR remote working, but in short order switched to a MCE remote. You're really limited by the six buttons with the Mac remote.

Would it be parents friendly?

Also, how would you get the MCE remote working on the Mac Mini.

PS: What are the configurations / models of the Mac Mini you guys are using? I am considering buying a USED Mac Mini for this setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help configuring a Mac Mini dedicated HTPC running XBMC0