I know so far XBMC is majorly based on XBox and is SD. The QUESTION is ...
What would be the best hardware + software / OS platform for an XBMC HTPC (On Linux or Windows) that has the following features:
- Fast & easy boot to XBMC (So my old parents can use it and not have to deal with a Computer interface)
- Supports HDMI Out (Even if I dont have any HD content yet, I'd like to future proof this hardware if possible when HD content + XBMC HD capabilities are up to par)
- Can stream content (outlined below: DVD ISOs, FLAC, MP3, DivX, AVI etc) from a Gigabit Switch & NAS
I am looking for an HTPC Box that is:
- Ready i.e. A small footprint box like AOpenPC (I hope I got the name right) on which I could install XBMC (on Linux or Windows - dont care as long as the better, stable, faster one can be installed)
- Motherboard & Small Case that you can suggest that would do this
- Streams the media from a NAS
- Remote Control thats easy to use for Parents - Do not have to worry about underlying OS.
I am also looking to buy a NAS (QNAP or Synology) with SATA + RAID or building something that resembles it.
NOW - I "CURRENTLY" prefer to keep them separate since I want the NAS setup in this old closet where all the CAT6 cables go to at a level below the Living Room.
BUT - I might combine them if I cant find a cheap HTPC box that does the above XBMC work for me.
Quote:Network Media Streamer from a NAS: DVD ISOs, FLAC, MP3, DivX, AVI, MPG etc
I am considering using Mac Mini with XBMC to stream from a NAS the above formats.
Would it do a DVD ISOs, (SD & HD Content from HD / Blu Ray).
I have used Macs in the past but have no major interest in it besides using it for Media Streaming from a NAS with XMBC.
Would this work well?
Does the remote provide good enough navigation for the XBMC?
PLEASE ADVISE. Thanks.