• 3(current)
Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio
I'm in the process of building an HTPC using an Abit I-n73HD, not tested optical out or hdmi yet, that comes tomorrow.

I've got XBMC (LiveUSB) running great on a monitor with analog sound, i didn't even have to setup anything Big Grin

I'll let you know how i get on. (7100 chipset, spdif out, hdmi @ 720p & 1080p)

Shorty
I look forward to the report, Shorty. What processor are you using? Also, do you have the killa sample? I'd be very grateful if you could try running that. If you do not have it, or don't know about it, I'll track it down again (it is somewhere on these forums) and let you know where to find it.
ShortySco Wrote:I'm in the process of building an HTPC using an Abit I-n73HD, not tested optical out or hdmi yet, that comes tomorrow.

I've got XBMC (LiveUSB) running great on a monitor with analog sound, i didn't even have to setup anything Big Grin

I'll let you know how i get on. (7100 chipset, spdif out, hdmi @ 720p & 1080p)

Shorty

I have that setup running already with an E8400 as CPU.

It drops frames on the KillaSample and the Audio stutters a bit. So i think the 7100 is not able to handle the KillaSample.

I might upgrade to a 8500GT passive or some, but for now it's only the 1080p Planet Earth Rips it wont play smooth.. and i found 1 or 2 other 1080p movies it has trouble with.
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
@ Jkrellner: The CPU is and E8200 and the ram is 2 x 1GB, some silent fans in a uATX case with a usb pen drive... that's it... so far.

I don't have the killa sample, but should be able to track it down eaisly enough, that's the one with the birds right?

@Razor_109: That's interesting, i'd hoped this would be powerfull enough, i hear the core 2 series overclock well and run cool, great for silent running... i'll see if a little overclocking can get this working, i gather that overall processing power is what makes the difference.

Shorty
i've got evga 7150-630i and both audio and video stutters in killa sample with an E4700@3Ghz with 2 x 1Gb 667 ram, but that's all the stuttering i had for now, i played other 1080p videos well with it Smile
ShortySco Wrote:@ Jkrellner: The CPU is and E8200 and the ram is 2 x 1GB, some silent fans in a uATX case with a usb pen drive... that's it... so far.

What case do you have? I am just curious... And let us know if you have any issues finding the sample. Another one my 2.8 Ghz couldn't play flawlessly (even overclocked to 2.9 Ghz, which is the max I could do since the board on my old computer is an Intel) is the I am Legend 1080p trailer from Apple. It starts to stutter about halfway through (at the scene where all the people are bottlenecked at the checkpoint).

Razor_109 Wrote:I have that setup running already with an E8400 as CPU.

It drops frames on the KillaSample and the Audio stutters a bit. So i think the 7100 is not able to handle the KillaSample.

I might upgrade to a 8500GT passive or some, but for now it's only the 1080p Planet Earth Rips it wont play smooth.. and i found 1 or 2 other 1080p movies it has trouble with.

Damn. This is proving more challenging than I had originally thought. Back to the drawing board, I guess...
@jkrellner, that spdif bracket is really no option? i mean the header is on the motherboard it just needs to be connected...
icekiller Wrote:@jkrellner, that spdif bracket is really no option? i mean the header is on the motherboard it just needs to be connected...

I've got one of the ASUS SPID/F header cards. Had to get it off of eBay of all places but it hooked up no problem. Had to remove the bracket to fit my case, oh well. Dirt cheap too.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Glad to hear a separate S/PDIF will work no problem -- I had assumed that but someone said it could present software problems (although I am not sure what those problems could be).
pull crap its just like its onboard only its needs a pci slot.. its sort of the extra usb slots you have on your motherboard.
Look at my sig below, Gigabyte with Intel 3100, OpenGL 1.5.
Plays Killa Sample without hickup or audio stuttering Smile
Plays all my *.mkv files that my former AMD system didn´t without audio/visual stuttering on some content.
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro - Onkyo TX-NR696 - LG OLED 65B9 - DS411J - SMB server@win10
Actually mine not a PCI card, it's a board made for the ASUS boards as I recall. Plugs into a header on the board. I'll try to find it, funny thing is a Google search already brings up my previous post! :-O
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I have decided to go with an ATX board instead of micro-ATX, since space is not an issue for me (case will be hidden in a component cabinet). So, I'll be going with the GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L with a E8400 and a GeForce 9600 GT. That should be able to handle anything I throw at it. Works out to about $150 more, but at least it know I will be able to do anything I want.
My experience with Abit I-N73HD so far...... (With E8200 and 2x1GB)

Setting up was a breeze, all hardware seems to be supported nativley, yay!

Audio
Optical passthrough works, although at first only AC3 movies were coming through, but after looking at audio hardware settings i changed the default audio device to match the pass through one (iec956 or something)
Now i get mp3's and mp3 movies too, i'm still not getting UI sounds through optical, is this hard coded or is it just me being thick?
Playing the killa sample it looks ok, but pressing "i" on the keyboard it tells me it looses between 40 and 120 frames. Everything else plays fine.

Video
Everything just works as expected and looks perfect quality wise, except one problem.
All i can output so far is 720p or 1080i, at first i thought this was user error, but some searching leads me to think that maybe this board cant do 1080p by design, can anyone clarify? (My 720p projector accepts a 1080p input)

Network
Again, supported by default and just works, although if you plan to use LiveUSB Xbmc, check my post in that thread.

So other than the 1080p thing i'm fully happy with everything (ie. not so happyLaugh )

Shorty
ShortySco Wrote:My experience with Abit I-N73HD so far...... (With E8200 and 2x1GB)

Setting up was a breeze, all hardware seems to be supported nativley, yay!

Audio
Optical passthrough works, although at first only AC3 movies were coming through, but after looking at audio hardware settings i changed the default audio device to match the pass through one (iec956 or something)
Now i get mp3's and mp3 movies too, i'm still not getting UI sounds through optical, is this hard coded or is it just me being thick?
Playing the killa sample it looks ok, but pressing "i" on the keyboard it tells me it looses between 40 and 120 frames. Everything else plays fine.

Video
Everything just works as expected and looks perfect quality wise, except one problem.
All i can output so far is 720p or 1080i, at first i thought this was user error, but some searching leads me to think that maybe this board cant do 1080p by design, can anyone clarify? (My 720p projector accepts a 1080p input)

Network
Again, supported by default and just works, although if you plan to use LiveUSB Xbmc, check my post in that thread.

So other than the 1080p thing i'm fully happy with everything (ie. not so happyLaugh )

Shorty

this post is useless without pics! Wink soo... pics! btw i have the same prob with the liveusb @ my motherboard.. Wink
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio3