• 4(current)
[PATCHES] PPC (PowerPC) Linux support for powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux targets
I would be very interested in how long araldor came with his ps3 port ? Can you give me more informations ?

A new version from the software renderer http://www.mesa3d.org/cell.html is available for ps3, i was compiling it under ubuntu and it is running and has slightly opengl support by now Nod hope we will see more in future, the 8 spu's should be pretty fast enough to emulate a 'gpu'.

I was also download cedrics source and will look how far i can reach the target ( if it's possible or not )

araldor is doing a ppc port, not a ps3 port. while ppc is required for ps3 support, the ps3 cannot be supported until it has opengl.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Quote:As discussed in an other thread, Araldor and I are working on the porting to PowerPC linux.

I am working on the powerpc-linux version, using opengl (mac mini)
Araldor is working on the powerpc64-linux version, without opengl (ps3)

Well i know that full opengl support is required Nod
i stand corrected.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Actually, if you read that whole other thread you also know that they changed their mind and decided to first only port XBMC for Linux fully to 32-bit PowerPC before taking any further steps, see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32320

One step at a time, 32-bit PowerPC first, then 64-bit PowerPC only once that it done, and so on, ...the concept is that it is easier and quicker to jump many small hurdles then it is to jump over only a couple of huge hurdles.

PS! In between it might also be a good idea to get the Mac community developers involved as well:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36229
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31065
the strategy to go step by step is a wise idea and it will take a good while befor the gallium renderer is finshed, then they can look forward to a 64bit version or run it on an 32bit chroot on ps3.
but one thing for sure, if this driver is running then i will everything to get xbmc working on it, right now i did a new checkout of the source and recompile it and install, the gl demos are running 3 times faster now and all the TGSI errors are gone, was trying all the opengl screensavers on ubuntu it's impressive !
I've started poking at this again, and I'm working through all of the changes that have come up since I last looked at this. I'm getting close to a successful build.

I'm going to make a better effort to release patches early and often. Last time I worked on this I wanted to get something reasonable working being sending a lot of patches. Then, I had to step away for several months.

Does anyone out there have a PPC linux machine with decent 3D hardware? It would be nice to have someone who could test things at closer to realtime.
Is anyone still looking at PowerPC targets?

I've managed to get XBMC compiled and running on PS3 Ubuntu 8.10. I'm using SDL 2D mode since there's no 3D acceleration on PS3 Linux.

It runs, but lots of textures are messed up, I presume endian related problems. Because I'm using 2D mode the frame rate is anything between 3 and 30 fps depending on what skin I'm using.

If anyone is interested I can try submit a patch if I can clean up all my hacks.
There's only about 50 million people that want XBMC on the PS3. Though I doubt they'd enjoy it at such low FPS, I'm sure it's a great start.
What's the deal with compiled libraries? Some .a files in xbmc/lib/lib* are committed in source control and some aren't. Should I be adding the lib*-powerpc64-linux.a files to my patch?

Is this the best place to ask these kinds of questions?
thkis place is fine, although irc might be easier for all parts.

which libraries are in svn as .a files? we should fix that, not add new ones
Actually most of them are for OSX. There's some non-OSX .a files in xbmc/lib/libcdio and xbmc/lib/libsmb.

There's no source to build the libsmb one so I'll add a .a for that.
Personally I think we should move away from our libsmb as the one in ubuntu / yellow dog or whatever you use, should be fine. So a change in our configure is in order here.

libcdio should be placed as either the linux one or atleast be configured and maked alongside xbmc, this however havent been done because the make script in libcdio doesnt create the .a files, the make install does, which is nonstandard.

afaik only gutsy needs the new libcdio to get dvd correctly, although we benefit to have the very latest on all versions.
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I've submitted a patch - http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5544.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCHES] PPC (PowerPC) Linux support for powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux targets1