XBMC on AMD64
Sad 
Hi!

Have issues with XBMC on an AMD64 running ubuntu 8.04 Hardy, the 64-bit AMD/Intel version.

Searching for a samba share crashed it, but playing local videos seem to work.

Is this supposed to work, or am I wasting my time?

Any ideas?

The only thing I found was this when I searched:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=27155&page=3

//Odin
64bit is officially supported. I haven't (nor has malloc64) dinked with it in awhile, so there's a good chance it's broken.
So what info should I collect from this machine in order to point out the issue?

Thanks!
Oops... 64bit is NOT officially supported. Once the bug tracker is back up feel free to post a ticket assuming a clean (make distclean) rebuild still fails. Just be aware that it'll get fixed at our leisure.
I run an athlon xp6400 black edition and runs fine in 32bit hardy heron
Cresho, if you're running 32bit hardy then you're not a 64-bit platform. The fact that your processor is 64-bit is completely meaningless and useless.

odinb, it may be best to go back a few revisions and find one that doesn't exhibit the crash. I may have time to look into it this weekend. If you happen to go through the process, please post the latest revision you found that doesn't crash and the earliest that does.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yes! I was posting as an example he can use 32bit. I am currently using the xbmc ppa you have posted here. It isnt all that perfect but better than most.

Here is one since it's related to video issues...

With compiz enabled (disabled workaround in compizconfig settings manager), xbmc screen setting set to 1080i(my screen res is 1920x1200), I am able to use the "\" key to go fullscreen and also the tab key. But If I go back to a non-fullscreen with the "\" key and try again, it will flicker so i would need to start a new instance. I sometimes through it in another workspace as a workaround. another thing is that sometimes my xbmc crashes trying to view pictures. it is not related to compiz fusion. It is related to a type of picture i have and here it is

The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
ExifParse: incorrect Exif headerJpgParse: Not a JPEG file /home/someuser/Pictures/My_Family/someladyname.pngIptcParse: Unrecognised IPTC tag: 0x00ExifParse: incorrect Exif headerJpgParse: Not a JPEG file /home/someuser/Pictures/My_Family/2.pngError loading jpeg - no SOI marker found in first 4096 bytes
Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment
TIFF IMAGE: Not a TIFF or MDI file, bad magic number 55551 (0xd8ff).
Unsupported marker type 0xfb
CRITSEC[0x8b66664]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
pure virtual method called
terminate called without an active exception
Aborted

hope this helps and wish you guys everything in getting ahead.
Yes, he could reinstall his operating system and use a 32-bit system. But if we're handing out that kind of advice then I advise you to go get an xbox and run XBMC on that. It's much more stable. Now if we want real solutions, maybe we should concentrate on solving the problem instead of sweeping it under the rug.

Also, it's not nice to hijack threads, so go post your problem elsewhere.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on AMD640