Custom context menus
In my opinion it would be nice to be able to use a custom context menu for custom lists. There could be a condition in the list control for enabling the feature and I guess telling it which one to use incase you want to use different context menus for different lists so you don't have to do a bunch of workarounds with visibility conditions. Something like,
Code:
<contextmenu>CustomContextMenu.xml</contextmenu>
CustomContextMenu.xml being the xml made specifically for that list and can just be coded as a dialog window I guess. I feel this option can allow users to trim/add items from/to lists without having to clutter up a skin options window with a bunch of options.
You mean for static lists, or for allowing users + skinners to control the built in context menu on the media lists?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Static lists
Right, so theoretically you can already do this, albeit rather cumbersomely (keymap changes, custom dialog, custom actions to perform and so on).

I'm not sure that a general solution would cover everything - perhaps you could come up with some usage scenarios as to exactly what you'd want it to be able to do so that other skinners could comment as well?

Thanks Smile

Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Ok. For example in the list on the home window in xTV there are conditional buttons like the You Tube button, allowing the Movies button link to the library,etc. I think it would be alot easier if that list had it's own "context menu" to control these options rather than have to navigate to the skin settings to change these options. I think this could be useful in other skins as well so users could control what items are in the lists so they could get rid of any items they don't use and maybe add ones they would, which brings me to another suggestion I have been thinking about but I would have to think a little more on how it could be pulled off.
Right - but how does XBMC know what the context menu contains and how to pull off the actions - that's the tricky bit Smile

The context menu could just be a custom dialog xml made by the skinner with the butons of their choosing.
Sure, but is XBMC going to know what to do when you press one of these buttons? Popping up and filling a context menu is the easy bit. Knowing what to do when a user clicks on it is the tricky bit. Problems are:

1. How is XBMC supposed to know what the skinner is wanting - having a built in is fine, but I suspect you want more than that?

2. If it is just a built in, then why can't you already do this (other than the fact that WHITE isn't mapped to bring up your custom dialog, which is just a keymapping thing.)

Cheers,
Jonathan

I don't want more than that. I do just want the menu to just contain built-in's coded by the skinner in the custom xml. But what I am thinking is that the white button in the home window be mapped to do the home view toggle and the black button bring up the custom dialog specified by the <contextmenu>CustomContext.xml</contextmenu> tag in the list control just to keep it the same throughout the skin and for the user not to have to edit the keymap just to do it.
Most users aren't using a gamepad, would this still work on a remote control?
Freddo Wrote:Most users aren't using a gamepad, would this still work on a remote control?

I don't see why it shouldn't. I haven't used the xbox remote in a while but I'm pretty sure you can bring up the context menu with a predefined button. Universal remotes shouldn't be a problem either.

I want to express my support for this request, I like it Smile
Oh don't get me wrong I love the request I just want to make sure it'll work for remote controls too. Recently Aeon has put a bunch of stuff in the shutdown menu which isn't actually mapped to the remote (to my knowledge) which is kind of annoying so, hopefully this feature request could remove the need for that.
why do these functions need to be in the context menu? the menus are already getting rather large and already contain non-contextual items (now playing, settings, go to root, switch media).
Correct me if I´m wrong, but I think what CHI3F means is having a skin specific context menu to be used in places where the built in context menu isn´t used. So not additional entries in the existing context menu.
All it would be is a custom xml binded to the context menu button without having the user having to set this in a keymap.
There used to be a customized menu called the "DialogSubMenu" which fits the bill. It was similar to the Favourites. You could put anything in there. I see its still in the code, but PM3 doesn't make use of it. I guess it would be possible to use the same context menu action to invoke this menu when there's no context menu through the base window class. But it will only work in non media windows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom context menus0