Microsoft NXE(New Xbox Experience) next-generation Xbox 360 dashboard GUI
Hitcher Wrote:So who's going to port it to XBMC?Wink

Whoever is crazy enough to port is gonna spend a lifetime on re-creating those avatars.
Also allot of features are not available in XBMC, you kinda end up with a pretty empty user-interface.

Guttasej Wrote:i seriously hope you're gonna be able to choose which skin to use >_< becuase i woudlnt wanna bloat my 360 with that SadSad
I hope the same, you can choose between this and the old version, seeing that's more stylish compared to these concept pictures, but I'm curious to the features that come with the 'New Xbox Experience', from the looks of it most of them are probably only for the USA...
Martomo Wrote:Also allot of features are not available in XBMC, you kinda end up with a pretty empty user-interface.
Features maybe, but skinning-engine wise, what is not doable in XBMC's skinning-engine?, ...this is a skinning forum for XBMC after all.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Features maybe, but skinning-engine wise, what is not doable in XBMC's skinning-engine?, ...this is a skinning forum for XBMC after all.
I was kinda referring to the My Xbox screenshot, if you use that as menu/Home.xml, I assumed you don't need the menu in the top-left of the window, seeing most of the content is already in My Xbox.
But you can leave My Xbox away from the menu and only use the menu options that apply to XBMC, like Games and Videos, still a bit short content-wise, but you can add more options to that, like Scripts, Settings etc.
Wow, Glad someone brought this one up.

Honestly.. I am currently in two minds about it. One part of me says hey they have added a few things that look to be nicked from XBMC or any other media app for that matter. ie the scrolling views. It would be neat if when connected to your own network it scanned for artwork like xbmc for sure.

The other part of me thinks, oh god now my kids are gonna want to play with my 360 and cause the ROD much sooner!

Seriously though... I for another, hope that this interface can be dressed up a bit more for the more adult amongst us or left with the option that we can still use the old interface which in my eyes is a damn sight better placed for a front room media center and not a kids bedroom.
Yea..wat's upTongue

I am not dead.
I don't come here any more, because I don't have Xbox anymore, I have moved on to 360 and enjoying the games.

Anyway, you guys must be aware of the 360's dashboard, the Blades.
Team Blackbolts created a version of the Blade for XBMC called MC360.

To tell you the truth, I really hated the Blade, I won't say I hate it, I will just say, I am so freaking bored of it! Especially when you compare it to PS3's menu theme.

ANYWAY...onto the subject.
I dunno what's in you guys mind, but in my mind. I say:
Why Microsoft couldn't allow you guys xbmc for 360!? XBMC is truely an awesome program.

E3 2008, Microsoft announced that, there will be a new dashboard redesign.
It will look exactly like XBMC theme feature.

With the scrolling menu, ability to burn 360 games to the hdd and play them, plus you can view the games boxart on hdd just like you view them on xbmc. The interface looks similar to most xbmc themes, with the transparent look, and scrolling menu.

I just wanted to know how you guys feel about Microsoft using you guys idea.
Microsoft really did it, stole Mii's idea, Home's feature and xbmc theme design.
many mediacenters have simular looks.

if you prove they stole it from us, then sue them Wink
yea you can't sue.
I dunno nothing about xbmc development, with all these sdk, devs, kits etc.
But you guys started developing the thing on Microsoft's Xbox.

I am sure they stole the idea, because they even used the games library, and menu left/right scrolling design.

All I am just saying is, how do you guys feel that Microsoft used xbmc idea to integrate with the new design?
honoured!? ripped off? p-ssed off?
I'm not sure how much is actually stolen directly from xbmc... I mean a lot of web design these days looks the same, what with the reflections, icons, scrolling views and all. And as posted previously, many of the media centers have similiar views including microsoft's MCE which I'm sure there are some older xbmc copies running around. The biggest and most obvious rip off though is the new avatars... of course ripping off from the wii's Mii's, which nintendo was probably originally inspired by the ability to build characters in games.

As for my opinion I for one actually like this new interface as I have never ever been a fan of the blades. The ability to rip the games onto the harddrive is a very nice feature... a feature of course that we have had for quite some time. however this is unexpected in my opinion because I can only imagine the sharing that will go on between friends in order to save from buying all those games... I'm sure perhaps there is a security measure on this, anyone hear about anything of this nature?

anyhow I kinda like the changes.
Competes2win: The E3 brief said the game disc still has to be in the drive. Copying them to the harddrive is just to save loading time and lower noise from the disc drive.
thenut Wrote:Competes2win: The E3 brief said the game disc still has to be in the drive. Copying them to the harddrive is just to save loading time and lower noise from the disc drive.

Oh Gotcha. makes sense.
I would also be that loading from HDD would stop some heat issues since the DVD drive wont be spinning.
xino Wrote:All I am just saying is, how do you guys feel that Microsoft used xbmc idea to integrate with the new design?
honoured!? ripped off? p-ssed off?

Were it not for Apple, we'd still be in the interface Stone Age. Almost everything that's happened in UI design over the last decade has been somehow derived from designs like OSX, iMac and more recently iPod. If they're not moaning about it, I doubt we have a right to.
MS has very basic GUIs so they can be used by all ages. They are not "fancy" at all, by design. That interface is nothing special IMO - very utilitarian with a little glitter to make it look 3D
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
djh_ Wrote:Were it not for Apple, we'd still be in the interface Stone Age. Almost everything that's happened in UI design over the last decade has been somehow derived from designs like OSX, iMac and more recently iPod. If they're not moaning about it, I doubt we have a right to.

... someone drank the cool-aid
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
UND3R ACHI3V3R Wrote:I would also be that loading from HDD would stop some heat issues since the DVD drive wont be spinning.

And it will be a lot quieter - at last. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Microsoft NXE(New Xbox Experience) next-generation Xbox 360 dashboard GUI0