XBMC translator for skins?
I've got a group of nice blokes together who have agreed on taking care of translating my skin in their languages.
And I was thinking, would it require a lot of work to make the XBMC translator application work with skin language files too? It would make the translating so much easier, and it would be of use to any skin out there of course.
The standard one should work with the skins as well that was the whole point of keeping the directory structure and filenames the same.
I even tested it Tongue
Huh That's strange, It keeps coming up blank for me whenever I point it to the language directory. I'll look into it again, maybe there's an error somewhere in my strings file, although in that case I would expect xbmc to go crazy on me Confused
Thanks Smile
you need to delete the cache, since the translator app makes a copy of strings.xml to compare too when doing the next translation so it knows which items are untranslated.

it's stored in: C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\
Great, I´ll try that tonight

cheers Smile
blittan Wrote:you need to delete the cache, since the translator app makes a copy of strings.xml to compare too when doing the next translation so it knows which items are untranslated.

it's stored in: C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\

I deleted the cache but it keeps coming up blank.
I deleted the second language's folder, restarted, chose "set language folder", pointed to the language folder, added a second language by choosing "New language", which results in the following error:

Code:
The following error occured:
Error loading C:\Program Files\Multimedia\XBMC\skin\Focus\language\Dutch\strings.xml
C:\Program Files\Multimedia\XBMC\skin\Focus\language\Dutch\strings.xml is not a language file.

I validated the english language file and it says that it's a valid file.

I have submitted some translations for xbmc before, and it didn't give me any problems

I'm a little lost Confused
1. add the english strings to a directory, then add new language from the translator...
I feel like an idiot, but last try
My steps

1. Folder structure:
xbmc
-skin
--language
---english
----strings.xml

nothing else is present

2. set language folder in xbmc translator. Point to "language" folder

3. new language in xbmc translator

4. same error as mentioned before, a directory with the language name is created, along with an empty strings file

5. any attempt to open the language results in yet again the same error

I have tried creating the directory elsewhere amongst many other scenarios but it just won't work.
hmm.. *think, think, think*

might need a langinfo.xml in the english folder..

switched to linux so i cant try out..

but i have used it to translate skins and scripts in the past when i used windows..
Sorry for the up (google search Blush), but I'm trying to translate PM3.HD skin and I get the same error.

I just translate XBMC 19292 without problems, but I can't load skin text files.

I tried all the solutions but have not work.
There is no langinfo.xml in the english folder, so I tested with the XBMC one whitout success.

I'm using XP... Thanks!
copy the entire english folder and name it to your language (ex. Swedish), then edit the xml in notepad and leave

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<strings>
<string id="0"></string>
</strings>

in the file, then the translator should work.
Yeah! That works!

There is a little bug in XBMC Translator. When it creates the new strings.xml is missing this:
Code:
<string id="0"></string>
</strings>

Thanks for the fast reply...
Thanks for pointing that out. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC translator for skins?0