OpenGL version check
Don't know if it even is possible, but is there a way to have XBMC skip the OpenGL version check or a way to have XBMC believe there is a version string >1.5?

I'm asking this because in it's development stages, I'd like to test XBMC functionality in a Virtual Machine rather than messing on my real HTPC.

Almost none of the Virtual Machines out there on a Windows based host emulate OpenGL (upcoming Vmware seems to be), so it's impossible to run XBMC.

The testing is not really needed for video playback which heavily depends op OpenGL and works fine with the latest release, but more for testing scripts, plugins, network and most of all, the tuning and slimming down the underlying OS.
It would be nice to be able to test with virtual machines maybe a safe mode could be implemented that could run on open GL 1.1. having this on a system that used XBMC as the windows manager could be very useful.
We don't check on the OpenGL level afaik. If XBMC crashes or doesn't work than only if it needs some OpenGL functions which aren't available.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'm not a programmer and the only information I can rely on is the log which ends in a OpenGL version check.

I know that XBMC needs OpenGL for displaying content. I do not know if OpenGL is used for its GUI and other inner workings.

I was just exploring the possibilities for using XBMC in an environment with less specifications for testing purposes.

Maybe some kind of "safe mode" like marlboroman1 said is the way to go or some other way outside XMBC to trick it into believing it has OpenGL support.
It needs OpenGL for the GUI. It provides the 3d transforms for the coverflow style lists, but the shader language requirement should only be for the video. So, you want to run Xbmc but disable video playback ?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Yes, Exactly!

I know video playback works fine on a system that meets the requirements. It's other things I want to test in a virtual environment without messing, reinstalling, testing etc. on the actual working HTPC.

Things like, how to get an OS as slim, sleek and unobtrusive as possible without compromising the functionality of XBMC and other things like networking, third party script and/or plugin issues. Having batch or other automated script files do something in the background while XBMC is running, especially if XBMC is running as a shell (well not XBMC itself but some batchscript or program like Power-Pro that initiates XBMC)

Another great advantage when running in a virtual environment, is that you can simply revert to earlier (working) stages simply by using snapshots.

Having XBMC working in a VM has many advantages. Not only for me but also for developers like you.
you dont need to sell me on the advantages of virtual machines. ive been using them for many years.
DragonFly Wrote:Yes, Exactly!

I know video playback works fine on a system that meets the requirements. It's other things I want to test in a virtual environment without messing, reinstalling, testing etc. on the actual working HTPC.

Things like, how to get an OS as slim, sleek and unobtrusive as possible without compromising the functionality of XBMC and other things like networking, third party script and/or plugin issues. Having batch or other automated script files do something in the background while XBMC is running, especially if XBMC is running as a shell (well not XBMC itself but some batchscript or program like Power-Pro that initiates XBMC)

Another great advantage when running in a virtual environment, is that you can simply revert to earlier (working) stages simply by using snapshots.

Having XBMC working in a VM has many advantages. Not only for me but also for developers like you.

I would check out Suns new Open Source VirtualBox it supports OpenGL in its video driver. Its in beta and runs a bit slow but it does work.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Bone
Thanks, Bone

Do you have a link to the Windows binaries for OSE?
Dear All,
I would very much like to try VirtualBox OSE under WinXP but unfortunately do not have Visual Studio to compile it myself. Does anybody know where is it possible to download windows binaries of VirtualBox OSE ?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Alex
Why do you need the OSE? Just get the windows binary they have available it's licensed as free for personal use.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenGL version check0