DXTC/DDS support browsed / background images
I believe that the texturing tool now supports loading of dxtc-dds files for skin textures, but I believe it would be a boon to extend this support for dxtc compressed dds files to the picture browser and backdrop support.

Current backdrop memory usage at:
  1. 1080p - 5.93MB
  2. 720p - 2.63MB
  3. 540P - 1.48MB *
  4. 480p - 0.98MB

By allowing dxtc compressed images to be directly loaded, this changes drastically:
  1. 1080p - 0.98MB
  2. 720p - 451KB
  3. 480p - 199KB

*- I included 540 raw bitmap as his has been suggested as a Xbox friendly resolution with minimal image quality tradeoff.

Some arguments regarding reduced image quality may be presented, but I would like to put most to bed. So here are some examples based on a 720 viewing resolution, cropped (but not resized past the 720 point) to a 640x480 window. All the uncropped and original format versions can be found here.

First, a 1080p bitmap viewed at 720p.

Then, a 1080p dxtc dds viewed at 720p.

The quality reduction is surprisingly small, and obscenely small compared to the saved memory.

Onto a 720p bitmap viewed at 720p.

And, a 720p dxtc dds viewed at 720p.

Now we can see a small sharpening effect due to the reduction of available colors in the dxtc sample, however, the image quality is still superb.

If an image is to be upscaled, dxtc compression would probably result ugly artifacts, however if the resolutions is pre-selected or downward only, dxtc gives incredible memory reductions.

Why is this important? Not only does this reduce the memory usage, which especially for the xbox is very important, but it also saves disk space for backdrops, reduces i/o, reduces lag on loading, and provides a smoother experience.
XBox supports DXT1..5. Is this what you are using?

If so, try feeding a dds file straight at xbmc (NOT via textures.xpr) - it should work out of the box.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Using dxt1. I have been unable to load any dds file via the filebrowser, dxt1 or uncompressed (888). Obviously, .dds is not recognized, so I've tried renaming it png, tiff, and bmp.
Multiimage or Largeimage controls may not support DDS, but normal image controls do - the texturemanager supports .dds extensions on xbox.

Dump it in the skin's media folder with that extension + setup an image control using that as it's <texture> and it will work.

Loading it through the filemanager won't work - the imagelib we use doesn't support compressed textures, but the texturemanager does.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Multiimage dxtc support is what's really needed then for this (dxtc backdrops) to happen.

Just played around a bit in pm3's xml testing loading dds's (dxtc1) with the most recent windows build (not svn), but I was unable to get any image controls (standard image, not multiimage) to load dds files at all, loading bmp's or png's worked fine. Is dxtc support not in the standard builds yet or is this svn only?

I wasn't able to access the changelogs (or find current url's maybe?) to verify for my self.
It will ONLY work on xbox or on win32 from trunk (i.e. not a win32 release you get from us - that is from linuxport branch). Please test on xbox.

It's ofcourse not needed on linuxport branch, where memory is not an issue.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DXTC/DDS support browsed / background images0