Commonly asked questions (read here before posting down there)
Where can I get Aeon?

There's a link to the latest version in the announcement thread of this subforum, as well as on the Aeon homepage (http://www.aeonproject.com)

I can't get movie fanart working on my Xbox!

XBMC had some teething troubles when it came to rolling out fanart across all platforms. Xbox seemed to be the last to get it, though it appears to have it now. Before you go pulling your hair out over them not working, check the Aeon readme to make sure you've named them correctly, then your XBMC build to ensure it's up to date. So long as it's dated August 1st 2008 or later, you should be okay.

When the background changes, all I get is black.

Aeon uses some very high-res 1080p textures, and even its compatibility modes leave Xbox gasping for breath. A known issue for Xbox users is that it easily runs out of memory when juggling large images, resulting in black where there should be a backdrop - so it's crucial you observe the following points:

- backdrops should be no larger than 1280x720 and preferably smaller. Irfanview is a good program for batch resizing images
- at the very least, Xbox compatibility mode should be enabled in the Aeon->System menu
- forum user xbmc.01 has kindly put together a highly optimised version of Aeon called "Aeon Lite". Early reports suggest it runs very nicely on Xbox, though you should still observe the above. It has its own thread in this subforum
- RAM can be saved by turning off non-vital components within XBMC. Guides for that are scattered through the forums, but turning off the webserver and lowering cache settings is a good place to start

Episode thumbnails aren't displaying in Showcase mode.

This is a known issue that doesn't affect everyone and probably has something to do with the background changer. I'm looking into it. Thanks for your patience.

What's the Aeon global context menu and how do I access it?

In XBMC terms, this is the shutdown menu - I've just added some features to give it a more beneficial role. On Xbox, you access it anywhere by clicking the right thumbstick. On HTPC and Mac, however, things are a little trickier. You can try pressing "S" on your keyboard to bring it up, or you can assign a key manually in the file UserData/keymap.xml. You can also assign it to a button on your remote control this way - check the XBMC wiki for more information.

How do I toggle view types on and off for each window?

Via the Aeon global context menu. See above. Alternatively, there are view type options within the the local menus for each window.

What's the fastest land mammal?

The Cheetah.

I hear it's possible to have info pop up within Wall views. How do I do it?

Go into the local menu while in wall view (push up off the icons) and the option's there.

What's the best format for backdrops?

BMP, though some suggest TIFF to be faster in Linux. I'd stick with BMP. JPG and PNG can be used, and are much smaller files, but they'll hitch slightly during transitions.

Why aren't there Wide/Banner icons in Aeon?

Short answer: they don't fit. I wrestled with a few options a while back and they either looked or functioned wrong. There is actually a wide icon view in Showcase mode, which you can activate within library views by going to the View Type options. It's not updated, though, so if it doesn't look right later on you'll have to tweak it yourself.

Is it true you're planning a skin with Fluid creator theDeviL that'll rock the knockers off XBMC?

Wink

How do you download TV series posters (for use in Showcase) from thetvdb.com?

You can't - yet. You have to store them locally and then browse for them within XBMC.

What's the Aeon Assistant?

Aeon Assistant is a little robot guy you can summon from within any window, at any time, who'll show you around its features. He tells you where the options are, advises you of cool features you might be unaware of, and addresses some common user issues. He's currently being designed by one of Aeon's associates and built by yours truly, but it'll be some time before he's unveiled. It's a massive feature, basically, and I want to introduce it in tip top condition.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Commonly asked questions (read here before posting down there)0