Random black screen...?
Hey guys,

I can't seem to figure out what this is causing so I was wondering if anyone else has encoutered this.

Clicking into "Movies", "TV Shows", or "Music" will randomly just go to a black screen and nothing seems get it out. I end up having to quit XBMC and restart.

This only happens when using Aeon.

Anyone seen this before?
travisbell Wrote:Hey guys,

I can't seem to figure out what this is causing so I was wondering if anyone else has encoutered this.

Clicking into "Movies", "TV Shows", or "Music" will randomly just go to a black screen and nothing seems get it out. I end up having to quit XBMC and restart.

This only happens when using Aeon.

Anyone seen this before?

Are you running on xbox? Checked the threads for setup so as not to have out of memory issues?

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Cranial Wrote:Are you running on xbox? Checked the threads for setup so as not to have out of memory issues?

Nope, Windows Vista.
I have Vista and noticed it as well.. Go to movies, black screen.. Hit menu and it goes back to home.. Back to movies and still a black screen.. Power down and restart Xbmc and it's fine.. Usually happens after I've done a little scraping..

Happened last night, so before I powered down, I switched to two other skins and they worked fine.. Switched back to Aeon and still the black screen.. Weird..
Tension113 Wrote:I have Vista and noticed it as well.. Go to movies, black screen.. Hit menu and it goes back to home.. Back to movies and still a black screen.. Power down and restart Xbmc and it's fine.. Usually happens after I've done a little scraping..

Happened last night, so before I powered down, I switched to two other skins and they worked fine.. Switched back to Aeon and still the black screen.. Weird..

I would say that describes exactly what happens to me. I think djh_ said a new release was going to be out this (weekend?) so I guess first I'll wait to see if it's been addressed.

It's a pretty big show stopper though since for lack of a better explanation, Aeon kills XBMC and renders it pretty much useless even though I know XBMC hasn't crashed.
I Have this too on my xbox, when you scroll through the menus every other one shows black screen, on movies nothing shows move to tv background loads move to music black screen loads. if i goto pictures it loads the grass as ive not set custom background folder. Then if i move back to music background loads then when i move back to tv no background etc etc.

Aeon works perfect for me on my windows box. Only problem i have is CPU always runs 100% in dashboard, until i run video then it drops to 10-12%

Cheers
sharktech Wrote:Only problem i have is CPU always runs 100% in dashboard, until i run video then it drops to 10-12%

I am pretty sure I saw someone mention that is normal right now (well, maybe not normal but happening to everyone).
Hey guys,

I'd like to update everyone with the fact that Aeon is NOT the only skin doing this to me now. MediaStream and the default have done this too, so I am assuming without a doubt it's an XBMC issue.

Cheers!
Guys, for those running on xbox, have you read the AEON Lite threadHuh
Fanart should be resized down to 960x540 on xbox too to avoid out of memory errors...

If you want to check the memory when getting black screens, boot while holding X+Y. If it drops to below 4000/5000 the picture will not load.
Hey Chris,

The problem is not that the backdrops fail to load, it's that the _entire_ screen goes black with no controls, no gui, no nothing. Renders XBMC completely useless.

I have posted a thread in the help section since I do not believe this to be a Aeon related issue.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35748

Cheers.
i can confirm that this also happens with the default PM3 skin on VISTA, so it is not an AEON specific bug.
Indeed - you need to get it reproducible. Once that's done, fixing it will be much easier Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

To everyone on this thread, go to the XBMC post here:

And post your debug logs! Like jmarshall said next step is to figure out how to reliably reproduce it once we do that fixing it can be much easier.

I'll play tonight to see if I can reproduce it time after time.

Go to:

To reiterate, this is a Vista-exclusive bug. I just started using Vista on my work comp and XBMC is basically unusable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random black screen...?0